very concerned

dawnandjimmy

Just born
Reaction score
My goat has what looks like a big cyst on the side of her mouth/lip. Resembles one..its not round but sticks out kinda far. What could it be and what do I do? I'm freaking out cause she is pregnant!!!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
First thing that comes to mind is CL. Does she have any others? Generally they are along the neck, throat, etc. Is it solid but, pliable? As it enlarges, it will look like the hair is coming off because of the expansion of the skin.

So, if that, the thick "cheesy" matter inside is contagious to others. Most often, you lance, remove matter and contain it, syringe with iodine. Use gloves while doing. Discard ALL. Also, these will eventually open, like a boil, and you will see drainage. This is when it is spread to others as she will rub it to get relief.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Caseous Lymphadenitis, a disease where the goat develops puss filled abscesses, especially on their throat in the lymph glands

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/caseouslymphadenitis.html

This is explaination. I love this site. This lady has been raising goats for years (& YEARS!) Great farm and she shares with compassion and knowledge.

Last edited:

dawnandjimmy

Just born
Reaction score
Caseous Lymphadenitis, a disease where the goat develops puss filled abscesses, especially on their throat in the lymph glands
I willTry and get pictures of it she is very skittish we have just gotten her 2 weeks ago and she's scared of us and runs so I have to wait till husband gets home it takes normally two of us to get her

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I would be concerned for CL. A vet can draw blood and send it out for testing or you can do the same thing. But I would recommend a vet to look at it. They will be able to tell if something is lodged causing the abscess or if CL is a concern.

Latest posts