Very Pregnant Pygmy Goat Bleating when pooping.

Phelps Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We've given specto to scoury kids. It's off label for goats, but it works pretty well. We did one pump per bottle until the scouts cleared up.
I'm sure there will be naysayers about this, but I'm just sharing what has worked for us.

Thank you so much, i went out and got some. ima try what you said. Do i keep him still on the electrolytes or milk?

Phelps Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No the switch took a couple days. I introduced slowly. He is only eating three oz at a time, every 4-5 hours

Phelps Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I make sure I dont over feed, Ive read that a bunch of diferent places. If ive done something wrong please please please tell me so I can make it right. Lucky is so little. I dont want to lose him. He worries me bad. I use vasaline on the thermometer but he still hates his temp taken, which he has never had one. I picked up some Penn G, read last night that it works for a lot of stuff. He will be 2 weeks old tmrw. He still has his cord hanging, could that be it, could it be effecting him?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Are you warming the milk or feeding cold? He can't survive on electrolytes alone. He needs food. When is the last time he had actual food (milk)? Is (was) he only eating 3 oz at a time because that was all you were giving him or all he would take?

Phelps Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All he would take. So can I give him milk too? Ive read to not give milk until scours were gone, I warm all of his bottles.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have done a mix of electrolytes and milk. Not in the same bottle, mind you. We start with electrolytes in the morning, and if the kid eagerly eats, we will do a bottle of diluted milk for the next feeding. Like maybe half water and half milk. Then, depending on how that feeding goes, and how loose the scours are, we make a decision for the next feeding. We continue this until the kid is completely off electrolytes and is drinking diluted milk with no issues. Once they are on diluted milk for all feeds, we start to adjust the dilution strength until we are back to full feeds. We use 1 pump if specto per bottle until the scours thicken up. If at any time during this process the kid backslides we start the process over.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
1- this advice is based solely on my experience and in no way replaces a vets care plan or knowledge.
2- hydration is key. This is why we dilute the milk. While full strength milk gives the calories and nutrition a kid needs, it can be rough on a sick kid's gut.
3- keeping #2 in mind, it is a tricky balance between calories and hydration. The goal is to keep the kid hydrated while working your way back to full feeds asap.
4-keep kid warm and dry. Snuggled up next to a fireplace in the house is our preferred spot for sick kids. Trying to stay warm uses a lot of calories that your kid may not have to spare.

If the kid's stool is really loose, you might do electrolytes for the first day and then start to reintroduce milk. Hoping someone else will chime in here. We've always been able to stop the scours before they got too severe.

Latest posts