1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Very strange behavior, do I need to take to vet?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by Madison Harrison, Jul 11, 2019 at 9:05 AM.

1. Jul 11, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    Madison Harrison

Madison Harrison Chillin' with the herd

I have a 4 month old American Chinchilla doe that is acting so strange. We got her about a month ago and she lives in a bucket burrow enclosure. She is lifting her head and breathing really hard, not super fast like rabbits do when they’re hot but just hard. She usually runs straight into her den when we approach but I can nudge her and she won’t move at all. She’s really lethargic and will allow us to lay her on her back. It has been raining a lot this week and been really humid. As far as I can tell she hasn’t eaten or drank anything today. It was really difficult to get this bunny so we can’t really afford for her to die! What do we do??

Attached Files:

B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  2. Jul 11, 2019 at 9:23 AM
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

That's not normal behavior and the labored breathing is concerning...if you can take her to the vet, do it.
    Is she drooling? Have you offered her water? You can hold a water bottle in front of her to see if she drinks. She's probably dehydrated but doesn't feel well enough to go get water.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  3. Jul 13, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

How is she doing?