Very Swollen Lamb Nose

JulietO

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a bit of a mystery here...
This lamb is a few weeks old, healthy, and active. His nose is obviously very swollen. It feels fluid-filled but is not hot or painful. There are no punctures, scabs etc. He has a bit of a runny nose but no respiratory symptoms. The weather in our part of the world is still very cold so I dont think its an insect bite (how do spiders feel about winter weather?)

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Attachments

• swollen nose.jpg
    swollen nose.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 515

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Normally I'd saying bitten by a spider or stung by a bee, but if your weather is anything like ours right now, those buggies aren't out right now.

Other possibilities could be that he got stuck by a stick or a piece of hay inside his nose and now there is an abscess or infection OR it could be Sore Mouth (orf).

Have you checked his temperature?

JulietO

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Really doesnt seem like Sore Mouth and we've never had a case in our flock so I've got my fingers crossed that he just got into something he shouldnt have.

Brittany Friend

Just born
Reaction score
What did you end up doing for the lamb? I have a lamb with the same looking nose

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Brittany Friend & welcome to BYH. This is an old/dead thread and the OP hasn't been back on since April 2015. I noticed you posted elsewhere but just came on and haven't read them yet. Hopefully it deals with this issue and someone will come to offer assistance.

Latest posts