Vet recommended Ponazuril for cocci, $140!

mirandaleecon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello!
I just picked my 4 month old buck from the vet after getting neutered. While he was there, I asked them to do a fecal and they found coccidia and hookworms.
Their recommendation for the coccidia was Ponazuril at $140! When I asked how much they found they said he wasn't overloaded but they were there. They also said albon is no longer effective.
He has no other symptoms right now.
How should I proceed? I told them I would get back to them on the Ponazuril...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Di-Methox is still very effective so I would question that many are now using Toltrazuril.
These products are over the counter.

Because everything is off label for goats you would want whatever you get to be under veterinary advice. :\

Is this a goat vet? That just sounds very "pet-vet" to me.
No one spends $140 for cocci treatment in goats... no one would own goats if that was the case.

I'd find a better farm vet. :hide

mirandaleecon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well the main doctor has a variety of farm animals herself so I trust she knows more than most pet-vets. Although she doesn't have goats, and I think she may be slacking a bit in that area.
What I suspect though, is that they have such reasonable prices on services, they up-sell with meds. They tried to give me 36ml of safeguard for $54.
I generally try to treat on my own except when I know I'm over my head...

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use Toltrazuril for mine
But I order online for $80 for a 200 ML bottle that I can give as a preventative to all of my kids for a kidding season
I think I had 20 kids this year

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Crazy!
Especially since it is labeled for goats and you can get it at TSC :rolleyes:

I would ask her if she would mind if you tried the Di-Methox first and see what she says. Ultimately the treatment is costing significantly more than a wether is even worth.

This is the powder- It is $12.99
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e078da-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

Safegard drench- https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e0766b-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

The toltrazuril is something we started 3 years ago but we never go through a whole bottle before it expires. We only give if we see any oocysts. We don't really do a "routine" cocci program- never needed one.
Toltrazuril is Baycox. Ask her about Baycox as she may not have heard of Toltrazuril.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually Baycox is the Bayer brand name for Toltrazuril
Not the other way around

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually Baycox is the Bayer brand name for Toltrazuril
Not the other way around

Kind of irrelevant. Out of the different vets in our region you say Toltrazuril and they look at you funny unless they do horses... say Baycox and they know what your asking.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kind of irrelevant. Out of the different vets in our region you say Toltrazuril and they look at you funny unless they do horses... say Baycox and they know what your asking.

There is a difference between a chemical compound and a brand name

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a difference between a chemical compound and a brand name

Oh so when someone says Tylenol we sure be sure to say NO- Acetaminophen!

Just joshin' OFA ;) I know what you meant.

@Pearce Pastures What does your vet say?

I think we do 1cc to 5 lbs. :hu Gosh I don't remember... I will look it up.
We have not used it in a systematic program though. I don't know if we need to or not but was considering it this year with so much rain and mud. I think some people do it every 10 days from 4wks on...

If I see and oocyst on the slide I do all the kids across the board 1x
The one/s that had the oocyst I repeat in 10 days.

I'd like to hear what those are doing as far as a "program" and how has it worked.