Vet says my sheep are overweight *Update post #29!!!!

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had a vet out a couple weeks ago to cast a buckling with a broken leg. It was that same day that we first saw one of our ewes with a prolapsed rectum. We ended up butchering that ewe. Today, the vet came back out for a recheck of the buckling and while she was here, she eyeballed our sheep and said they are overweight and that is what may have caused the prolapsed rectum in the ewe. Our sheep are on pasture only, no grain or dry hay. We have had them about a month. She says we should have her come out and do a whole farm check for $150. I think she means she would come and look over our operation and tell us what we can improve upon as far as feeding and basic management. I'm not real inclined to do that. I'm having a hard time with the idea that our flock of sheep are overweight. Isn't it pretty unusual for a single animal, let alone a whole flock, on pasture to be fat? I would love some opinions from sheep people as I am brand new to sheep. Here are some pictures I took today:

6c25240b.jpg

7d568733.jpg

9ee6d4b1.jpg

bbb8aeb6.jpg

a1ea96a9.jpg

1c279119.jpg

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm not a SHEEP person (YET!! XD) but those sheep aren't fat... They look 'big' due to wool (maybe....) but where you can see no wool, they look pretty good

Course this is my opinion, it could be kinda like how tourists think our dogs are 'skinny' because you can see their ribs, or hips on some of them :rolleyes:

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
They don't look fat to me either...they look in good health. Our sheep are not swelt, but they are healthy, no problem lambing and no prolapses. I'm no expert, but your sheep look good to me.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I dont know much about sheep, but I know a few vets, both good and bad.

That's a common tactic, to get out on your farm and get that initial fee, along with whatever else they can talk you into. Your new to sheep.......fresh meat, gullible, however you want to call it.

I'd find a new vet!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Large sheep (rang based)operations tend to hav MUCH skinny sheep then what most of us on here would like. If she is use to those sheep then yep your sheep could look overweight to her.

ShadyAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sheep that are in the in-between stage of shedding are difficult to determine their condition just by looking. And probably your vet is unfamiliar with the heavy look that Dorpers are supposed to have. From your photos your sheep appear to be in overall good condition. However, Dorpers are known for their ability to gain weight on nothing and can become overweight just on grass.

On your ewe that you butchered, how old was she? Have you eaten any of the meat yet? I have only eaten our lambs that were less than 1 year old. I had never eaten lamb before we started raising sheep so Dorper meat is the only lamb that I am familiar with and absolutely love it! I ask as I have a ewe that is 2 that will not get bred and I am trying to decide if I should butcher her or haul her to the market when we sell our lambs.

You have a nice flock of sheep. Good luck and have fun!

kfacres

Reaction score
those sheep are nearly perfect in condition, I'd say...

I'd question them though-- typically the ones with a good mineral program-- should easily be shedded out by now-- no matter what location in the country.

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Your sheep are not fat! Are those Dorpers? Does your vet know that the dorpers are a very meaty breed to start with? They are supposed to be big. I have sheep much bigger than yours but they are not fat either. Some may have had a single lamb this year and didnt lose much weight, or they just gain weight better. I don't think your sheep being overweight had anything to do with the prolapse. Sometimes things just happen. I have heard that sheep with their tails docked close have a higher chance of getting a prolapse. I do not dock any of mines tails but I see yours are docked. Maybe that is something to look into?