Video of me and Max. W/T

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
rodriguezpoultry said:
Direct rein? But he knows how to neck rein? He's also working off of leg cues.
When a horse is broken in he is trained by direct-reining, which is an extension of using a lead rope with a halter. Just because a horse is now neck-reined, it doesn't mean he has forgotten how to be steered by a direct rein. Horses remember EVERYTHING you teach them, which is why we all try to be positive when we train!! :lol:
This werethe best photos I could find to help you hold direct reins correctly. (Ignore the crossed reins. Pay attention to where the rein is placed in your hand.)
http://equineink.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/dsc00028.jpg
http://www.horseridinglesson.co.uk/images/5727.jpg
Why is this correct? Because you have more control with most of your hand closed. IF the rein was just on the outside of your pinkie, it could slip.
I've been working on keeping the three points down. (Tail bone and two hips right?) As well as maintaining a squeeze on my upper legs. After awhile, my heels definitely dipped.
Told you so. ;)
WOW-you squeeze with your thighs for 2 hours straight?!? What an exercise program! :th You're working too hard. After 2 hours astride, your seat naturally improves. If you want to check your seat, look over your knee. If your toes are visible, pull them back JUST to the point where you cannot see them anymore. Toes sticking out gives you a "Chair Seat," which isn't balanced. If you sit too far forward--I didn't see that in your video--you aren't balanced either.
We were on a trail ride today..2 hours of it. All he wanted to do was trot. At the end of the trail, he was doing a beautiful trot. So smooth it felt like he was walking except with the 2-beat. It was wonderful...

My butt was killing me though
Oh, well, riding is hard work!! If you don't like that much trotting I would try half-halting him. Often. This is JUST like pumping your brakes of your car.
My Arab, "Corporal" (1982-2009, RIP) who I owned for 23 years, loved to "jig". Finally, when he hit 20 years old, he settled into a more reliable walk.

I'll tell you a story.
A few years back I wanted to learn to play a 2nd instrument, the bugle. I've played piano for over 40 years, and I've heard that the 2nd one comes very easy to a musician. I had a dilly of a time trying to follow my teacher's instructions. I didn't want to puff out my cheeks, because it wasn't right. I tried to get several notes out of the mouthpiece alone, and it wouldn't work. Finally, my teacher said that I was working too hard at it. He said to relax and just "Play" with it. (Musicians use that word "play" and the word "Sound" to define a LOT of things.) Anyway, I went home and didn't try so hard, and suddenly I was getting notes, and my embrasure was coming along, too--I could actually play!!

My Point? Just DO IT!! :hugs

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
The lady in blue is leaning forward...maybe to halt her horse? The lady in pink appears to have a nice balanced seat, altho her stirrups are a bit long. Yeah the guy is sitting in a chair, not on a horse...but he's not moving either. His position might change once they're in motion.

Now you know why cowboys, God love 'em...wear tight pants!

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the link helmstead! Excellent visuals for me!!!

I was squeezing my legs to try and get the trot to look smoother. I will try to do what the website indicated as well as the looking down to see my if I can see my toes further in front of my knee.

Also gonna move the stirrup up one. I'm almost certain that's part of the problem. So I put my boot in until the side of the stirrup is even with my pinky toe?

So if i have my tail bone on the saddle instead of the front pubic bone, I need to lean forward a bit? Do you think leaning forward so that my cheeks and my pubic bone are the contact points will help the legs straighten up also?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is just fascinating to me. I've learned it all once, but I want to learn it and maintain it in my head for future. (At least the CORRECT version of it!)

Also found out, through the course of the trail ride, that Max isn't exactly the most graceful horse. Even walking he was falling all over himself. Almost fell once or twice on even ground. Made me wonder what was going on? I saw the ground rush towards me but he recovered ASAP. I had to pee before I went on the ride and luckily had to pee afterwards too.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
You don't lean forward, you rotate your pelvis. You will create a curve in your lower back, which gives you more suppleness, which allows you to go with the motion of the horse. You can practice sitting in your chair right now. Keep your legs still, and rotate forward onto your pubic bone. Your toosh will push back, your lower back will curve inward/forward, and your posture will immediately straighten (shoulders up and back).

No amount of tightness in your legs or back will help you sit the trot, it actually makes it worse. You get tense, the horse gets tense and his back starts hurting, then YOU start hurting LOL. You have to move WITH him.

The next time you're up, correct your seat as you did in your chair just now. Then ask him to walk, and relax your entire body. Close your eyes and FEEL for his hind legs. Each time a hind leg comes forward, become aware of how YOUR hip on that side also comes forward. Allow your back and hips to move WITH him. Be as loose as you can. At the trot, it will FEEL as if both hind legs are coming forward at once, this is the 'bounce'. If you can again relax your back and legs, your hips will naturally push forward with the motion. You have to move your lower back to absorb the push and allow that forward/backward and slightly UP motion to keep you seated without bouncing. Relax your thighs, too...squeezing with them really just pushes you UP which makes you bounce more...

Watch this girl's lower back and hips...see that SLIGHT rubber band motion in her back? See how her hips move back and forth? See how relaxed she is in her legs and upper body?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p9Z9HLd9wo

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do see!

I think ya'll are right! I'm just thinking it out too much! I need to let my body put everything right.

I think this girl, because of her tight clothes, helps me see the rubberband motion. I am seeing it right or am I just thinking I see it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stEgqgnbC4M

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ah. Then that's the issue.

I was taught how to ride on a western pleasure horse. Max is the first horse that I've ridden that wasn't officially trained that way. So I thought that was how I was supposed to ride on every horse.

Thank you for your help. It makes it MUCH clearer now that I know not to ride each and every horse like it was trained in western pleasure.

Edit: Making it clearer, I've always just "sat" on the horse and let it do it's thing in the ring. Other than sitting up there, I didn't know you were supposed to balance on the horse.

Thank you for clarifying everything...everyone! As you can tell, I really need the help and advice.