Virginia

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Any other Va people here? :frow

I raise Dairy Goats,Chickens,Ducks,Turkeys,Geese, Guineas, a Hog and am building my meat Rabbit herd I am hoping we can add a Beef Steer soon.

Are any of you going to the Gilmanor Swap sep15th? I will be there it would great to meet some of you

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
WV panhandle - spitting distance from the VA line and about 11 miles from Winchester.

Martin Farms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We're from southwestern Virginia. From a tiny county called Tazewell County

We have beef cattle, Boer and some crossed goats and a hand full of chickens!!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
We're in Southwest VA, Grayson County--so not too far from you, Martin Farms. We have a few of some different kinds of livestock that we raise just for ourselves, including heifers, bottle lambs, rabbits, chickens, and ducks. But we also raise large numbers of meat chickens each year for the local market.

So excited that there are other VA people here!

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm in southern Albemarle County. I currently have Peruvian Araucana chickens, a pair of turkeys, a flock of purple/violet cross guineas, two Labradors, three cats, and a colony of rats.
I want to get building next year, to possibly start some meat rabbits - and have been thinking about doing a pair of feeder lambs every Spring once I get my fencing completed. I used to have milk goats - but arthritic hands don't wanna milk for me much anymore. ;)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi fellow Virginians. Been in Va for 35 years, originally a D****D yankee from CT!!!! Live on the southern aug co/rockbridge co line. My son and I raise beef cattle and sell mostly feeder calves @ 4-500 lbs, rent nearly all the land we farm. I also have several jersey and guernsey cows, am an AI tech, used to do relief breeding when select sires had a tech in aug co. I am a milk tester for UDHIA for 25 years getting ready to retire. Have some purebred show poultry, member VPBA, ran 200 free range layers for several years; raised several breeds turkeys, had 12 sows that I raised feeder pigs on but none right now. We also have White Texas Dall sheep. Have some major joint issues right now but keep hobbling along.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi fellow Virginians. Been in Va for 35 years, originally a D****D yankee from CT!!!! Live on the southern aug co/rockbridge co line. My son and I raise beef cattle and sell mostly feeder calves @ 4-500 lbs, rent nearly all the land we farm. I also have several jersey and guernsey cows, am an AI tech, used to do relief breeding when select sires had a tech in aug co. I am a milk tester for UDHIA for 25 years getting ready to retire. Have some purebred show poultry, member VPBA, ran 200 free range layers for several years; raised several breeds turkeys, had 12 sows that I raised feeder pigs on but none right now. We also have White Texas Dall sheep. Have some major joint issues right now but keep hobbling along.

"D****D yankee", too! Born in New Jersey across from Staten Island! Tell my friends here "I may be a Yankee by birth - but I'm a Southerner by CHOICE!" Do you have turkeys now? What variety?

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm in southern Albemarle County. I currently have Peruvian Araucana chickens, a pair of turkeys, a flock of purple/violet cross guineas, two Labradors, three cats, and a colony of rats.
I want to get building next year, to possibly start some meat rabbits - and have been thinking about doing a pair of feeder lambs every Spring once I get my fencing completed. I used to have milk goats - but arthritic hands don't wanna milk for me much anymore. ;)

Well I got a pair of lambs - Katahdins from Mr. Wise in Buckingham. They've gotten the pasture grass down below armpit-level, and I frequently take them out back to the cutover, to help clear trails through the growing jungle back there. I may snip a few baby trees here and there, but for the most part - I sit in a chair with a book and coffee, and watch 'em eat. The trail just appears as they move from one spot to the next!

I've also managed to get Delaware chicken eggs, and now have a fledgling meat-bird flock.

Latest posts