Visiting with Goat Kids

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a question, if anyone has any experience with it. Mostly regarding taking goat kids out to visit with people and how to prepare.

In a nutshell, my grandmother lives at an assisted side of a nursing home. She was hugely excited when the kids were born last week, and I printed out some pictures in a 8x10 collage on photo paper so she could show people! She told me that she would absolutely love it if I could bring one or both of the goat kids to visit her. The nurses and CNAs both have said it is more than OK (they checked with their bosses to make sure, too) and also really want to meet the kidlets. I wanted to be sure it was allowed, since even though dogs and cats can come for a visit, a farm animal is a little different.

How should I best prepare for this visit? It won't happen until the kids are at least two or three weeks old. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to wipe the kids down with some of those pet allergy wipes before entering . My grandma can be a bit sensitive to hay (she kept a horse for a very long time, so she knows this well) and it would help make sure their fur is clean, too. I'd clean their hooves off with a washcloth, too, beforehand. To make sure there is no issues with little goatie poops, I was going to diaper them up. How do I even size a goat with infant diapers? These are little Nigerian Dwarves. Do I measure their waist measurement and go from there?

Now these kids are dam raised. So I should keep it short, right? I was thinking no more than an hour, so I could get them home and back to Mama Yoko. That is one big reason why I am waiting until they are a bit older. You know, so they can go a little longer without needing a drink of milk. If they have a good drink before leaving, they should be fine, right?

I do think this is going to be great for their socialization. I mean, my mother and I are holding, snuggling, touching hooves/ears/tummy/, and just spending time with them. But meeting other people might be a good thing.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I took a baby ND goat into my daughter's preschool a couple of times. It worked great. I didn't even clean them - you are nicer than me. :) I put a diaper on them, but it wasn't needed either time (but worth doing it just in case). I think I used a size 3 because that was what was on hand, but that was too big (we still made it work). A size 1 or 2 would work better. If you know of someone that has a baby that is around the 3-4 month old age that is about the right size. I put it on where the tabs came and attached over the back. Worked well.

I had no problem taking them for 30 -45 minutes at just over a week old. If you think about it, people who bottle feed go a couple of hours between feedings, so it should be fine. I watched mine closely after to see if there was any tummy upset. They didn't have any problems, but I had probios on hand just in case (that's my first line of defense for any tummy upset for any of my animals).

Good luck and I'm sure that everyone will love seeing them!
-K