vomit or diarrhea?

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It shouldn't take long for their systems to get used to the food. We give a custom blend free choice in a creep feeder and they don't seem to hog it down as bad. By free choice I mean we put out enough feed to give our lambs around a pound a day and they literally convert that feed to a pound or more of body weight a day (the ram lambs anyway,the ewes a little bit slower growing).
Thanks!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep are said not to be able to vomit (ruminants regurgitate and re-chew their food as a normal part of their digestion).

If they are well and they are eating something green, then the material could well just be regurgitated stuff. Lambs are pretty poor at getting the process right when they first take to solids and often drip stuff out of their mouths. Some adult sheep do it ,too.

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sheep are said not to be able to vomit (ruminants regurgitate and re-chew their food as a normal part of their digestion).

If they are well and they are eating something green, then the material could well just be regurgitated stuff. Lambs are pretty poor at getting the process right when they first take to solids and often drip stuff out of their mouths. Some adult sheep do it ,too.
Yeah you are probably right. Their hay is nicely green so maybe it’s just regurgitation. These guys are younger than the ones we got last year and I’m super paranoid! Thanks for your input!

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My lambs are doing well now! No more mystery fluids in the barn. We have two batches of lambs from two different farms (two from each farm). They are all together with our regular herd now. One of our newest lambs has loose stool so I sent in a fecal and she has coccidia at +++, so I plan to treat her. The fair lambs are on medicated food so do I only need to treat the ones with the loose stool or should I treat everyone? My regular herd consists of 3 adult sheep and 2 goats. They are not on grain at all and have normal poop. I don’t want to over treat so I thinking of just treats the ones with loose stool. Does that sound ok?