vomit or diarrhea?

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We got lambs for 4H on Saturday. We have the 2 lambs penned together inside our small barn while they acclimate. I noticed yesterday that one has a smelly watery green substance on her back. I also noticed the same substance in the pen on the bedding this am. There was also at least one fresh normal poo that I could see in the bedding. They are not on pasture but are given lots of hay. We didn't have access to the exact same feed the farm had them on, so I bought the same brand and am giving them just a couple handfuls total once a day. They were on Purina Honor Show creep DX (20% protein) and I could only get the Honor grower DX (18% protein). They were wormed and vaccinated before we took them and appear fine otherwise. Both are eating and drinking and acting normal. Should I be concerned? Should I hold off on the grain completely? I was planning to slowing increase the grain over the next two weeks but maybe I should hold off till I witness both pooping normally.

Thanks in advance!
Robyn

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old are the lambs? A change in food can cause scours but I've never had it cause vomiting but I have had some of the fast eaters choke on feed.
Maybe they chocked then and threw up? I’ve seen them cough here and there. I keep trying to witness them poop but no luck so far.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It shouldn't take long for their systems to get used to the food. We give a custom blend free choice in a creep feeder and they don't seem to hog it down as bad. By free choice I mean we put out enough feed to give our lambs around a pound a day and they literally convert that feed to a pound or more of body weight a day (the ram lambs anyway,the ewes a little bit slower growing).

Latest posts