WAHOOOO....Foxy kidded and I got another keeper doeling

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
This year my goal for boers has been spots / dapples or paints...with this gorgeous girl, I got BOTH.

This pic isn't so good, but I wanted to show the color on the back of her head.

Foxydoeling2.jpg

Side b

Foxydoelingotherside.jpg

She's 50% Boer, 50% Nub, 2 teated, named Reggie, joining Peyton and Dallas as our newest batch of keepers...can't tell I'm a Colts fan at all, can you?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Nope, she was a singleton....having a lot of those this year, no more trying to breed for December / early January kids for me.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
You might try to copper bolus once and see what that does for you. When we had copper issues, we also had a BUNCH of singletons...which corrected after one bolus on the next season.

I have HEARD Indiana isn't a copper deficient state, but with breeders...I still think you might need a tish extra. Guess I'll get to test the theory once we move. I can't remember if there was drought or flood up there, but any number of factors can cause bioavailable levels to go down.

hoosierchick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Shes a keeper for sure. I think thats the flashiest kid yet. I love spots so a spotted spot goat is the best!

no nonsense

Corralled
Reaction score
I'm interestd to know how you've determined that this one is a keeper, at such a young age? They do change as they grow and develop. It might be a good prospective keeper, but how do you know it won't develop any structural or conformation defects as it develops? Or is color the only selection criteria?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Welllll....as of Oct. their copper levels were a bit high (I was giving them copper sulfate in their water all summer and top dressing their feed....)
I haven't had them checked since then, but they're getting a better mineral than I was using a year ago...

We were copper deficient last winter, though...and had several sets of trips and one set of quads. Go figure...

A lot of the ones having singles are first timers, too.

I read that does aren't as fertile in their first heat of the year, and that bucks' fertility goes down when they're hot, these kids were all made in July / August.