Waiting on kids......

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our doe is 'supposed' to have her kids by the end of March, so of course every day I go out to the barn to see if we have babies or that something is happening. I can't wait! This will be our first 'intentional' birthing, and I'd like to get your tips/tricks/words of wisdom! Thanks all!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hey Totes! Good to see you back! From all that I've read, I think the best thing to do is get as crazy and impatient as possible, as quickly as possible to hasten the delivery of the anticipated kids... Doe code states that your doe is going to tease you mercilessly and every time you think she's about to go, if she see's you're there waiting, she'll put it off another day or two until you have demonstrated you've completely lost any semblance of sanity. Really though, she'll go when she's darned good and ready to go. Wish you ALL the best and success, and hope you get a couple of beautiful doelings! :fl:fl:fl

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The trick is to plan an important event that you must attend so that you are either gone or your have many guests at your house; a big dinner is perfect. That is when they kid. Or another favorite is to pass up all the gorgeous spring days and wait until the freak 10° night to have kids. Either way their job is to just make us crazy until we give up all hope of them having kids.

Other words of wisdom, if you do happen to be present for the birthing, bring towels...lots of towels. Puppy pads are great too.

Good luck with it all.