Walk in type rabbit cage

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey guys in May I will be building a walk in type rabbit cage. It will be 12x12. It will have wire over the top and the bottom do nothing can get in. And I will use plastic bens and cut a hole in the side for there shelter.

Qestions I have.
One is there anything I should be made aware of? Like issues I might have.
I know it depends on the size of the rabbit
But how many rabbits will reasonably fit?

I have a silver fox doe (that I might have to sell but I dont know yet) , a Dutch mini rex cross doe and I am planning on getting a Flemish giant and maybe a standard rex or a checker giant.

Also how can I introduce everyone to minimize fights?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Spring Flower, welcome from Florida :frow, among other critters I also have rabbits...I don't know your climate but here condensation inside of a plastic bin would be a concern along with the plastic not holding any warmth when it's cold out.
If you are building a 12x12 foot walk in for your rabbits, you can increase your space by creating diffrent levels for them to climb and lay on. You sure could get creative with a pile of large rocks that they can crawl through, large PVC pipe pieces to hide in and maby plant some natural forrage inside for them to munch...
Putting wire down so they can't digis great...putting soil and grass on top of the wire is even better...are you going to provide a litter box and try to train them to use it ?
Shelter from the elements is very important along with protection from predators. Clean drinking water along with proper food , hay....
I also have just recently gotten a Flemish Giant, if your adding that rabbit to your planned area that will greatly reduce your amount of rabbits you will want to keep in there, as the Flemish require lots more space than a regular rabbit......have fun with your project and please share pictures with us :)

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your setup sounds awesome. The bunnies will be happy. That sounds big enough for 3 normal sized rabbits, but not a giant.
Bonding rabbits is a pain. It can take weeks, maybe months if they are very hostile towards each other. They will need to be introduced on neutral territory, and be allowed a few hours of supervised interaction per day. Good signs are grooming, flopping, eating near each other, cuddling, in general being relaxed, even ignoring each other. Mounting each other is a sign of dominance, and should only be discouraged if it results in injury. Bad signs are biting, chasing, circling, boxing, scratching, and approaching each other with ears back and tails lifted. If one rabbit bites the other so hard that it screams, immediately separate them. Keep a water bottle handy to squirt aggressive rabbits. I have found that forcing the rabbits to lay down side by side and petting them works better than anything else, though. Good luck!

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Your setup sounds awesome. The bunnies will be happy. That sounds big enough for 3 normal sized rabbits, but not a giant.
Bonding rabbits is a pain. It can take weeks, maybe months if they are very hostile towards each other. They will need to be introduced on neutral territory, and be allowed a few hours of supervised interaction per day. Good signs are grooming, flopping, eating near each other, cuddling, in general being relaxed, even ignoring each other. Mounting each other is a sign of dominance, and should only be discouraged if it results in injury. Bad signs are biting, chasing, circling, boxing, scratching, and approaching each other with ears back and tails lifted. If one rabbit bites the other so hard that it screams, immediately separate them. Keep a water bottle handy to squirt aggressive rabbits. I have found that forcing the rabbits to lay down side by side and petting them works better than anything else, though. Good luck!

So it won't be big enough for a giant a silver fox and a mini rex/dutch?
I thought it would be plenty room.
Although I guess it sounds better than it looks..

I know my silver fox is a bit territorial and my mini rex/dutch is a sweetheart. I am a bit worried about spring (my mini) cause she's so small she's only 3 months give or take a week or two.

I plan on Breeding them so I want them to be as happy as possible. I am planning on glueing bens together and have holes on the end lined up so it's like tunnels.

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry I didn't see the first post.

I am actually planning on having different levels for them. Do you think it would be a good idea to bury some bins and get piping or something so they can crawl in it? That would help keep them warm right?
Would condensation still be an issue?

I am planning on burying the wire and I am not planning training the to use a litter box but I figured that they seem to use the bathroom in certain spots it should be pretty easy to clean up.
I also do think I would add the Flemish. I don't have another cage big enough.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just bought a "chicken coop" for my Flemish , from tractor supply., 8' long 36" wide x 40 " tall, going to add a mid level, wire floor and a outside run for him...and he is only two months old. They require more space like I mentioned, and I will put a little rabbit in with him for company.. on the outside run is where I will be doing some of the things i had posted.
I would be sure not to bury anything that they could get stuck in or that would fill with water when it rains.
Build it for your climate and their safety.....you will figure out rabbit math and who likes who really quickly...its always a good idea to have extra cages around for unexpected events..
Have fun building and creating your bunny palace :):frow

Last edited:

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Breeding them may be a problem if they are in the same living space. If you take the dam out, you risk breaking the bond; if you leave her in to kindle and raise the kits there, the 2 other does may not react well. Rabbits are very territorial and sometimes unpredictable. They may all live happily together, but if one has kits, the other two may harm the kits or the dam. Pregnant does are more territorial and moody than normal; the pregnant doe may make life hell for the other two if they are kept in the same area.
For the 3 does just by themselves, the space may work, if they all get along really well. Just keep an eye on them the first few days to be sure they don't fight due to overcrowding.

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So guys. I am currently in the process of building a 20x25 cage. It will have three sections in it. Two 10x10's and a 10x25

My Dutch doe and her buck will be in a 10x10. My silver fox if I can keep her will be in the other 10x10 and I am going to get a chinchilla and a Flemish pair eventually.

The Flemish and the Chinchilla does hopefully can stay together. The silver fox might be able to but she kinda aggressive.

I can't wait!

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was scared after research that she would castrate Flinn my dutch buck so I separated them. She wasnt being aggressive per say just a little grouchy but he was really nice and after the first hour or so he left her alone and they just cuddled. but I was still scared.

Anyway what ended up happening was both the dutch got about a 10*10 space to themselves and my silver fox and her 10 little ones go the rest.

man yall should have seen Flinn when he went in there. Binky after Binky after Binky. it was soooo cute.

IMG_20190411_090233636.jpg
IMG_20190411_090507548.jpg

Flinn is black and white. Spring is fawn and white and as I now call her BB is the silver fox

the bags is because I was scared of water getting in there

Latest posts