Walkie Talkies/Radios

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I currently have some free crappy second hand motorolas. Plan is to get a better GMSR radio setup. Basestation in travel trailer and pair of handhelds for hiking and camping. GMRS license WREE666, autogenerated would you believe it?
Can you tell us whats the best radio for us. Two- Radio that can send as well as receive radio signals, meaning that it can operate in two ways, as opposed to a radio that can only receive.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am extremely new to this so don't have a lot of hardware recommendations. I've been reading on reddit/gmsr for radio ideas. All I know so far is need repeaters capable units. Repeater (towers) let you extended range and there is a decent network of public ones across USA.

That said, here is a brief description of the radio bands available for consumer use in USA and my opinion on usefulness.
FRS (Family Radio Band)- limited to 2 watt, no repeatedly, no license. The useless super cheap bubblepack radios.
MURS (Multi Use Radio Service)- No repeaters, no license. Penetrates tree better than GMRS but poorer in urban. The lack of repeaters and poor signal penetration in urban settings ruled this out for me.
VHF Marine- not legal for land use and we aren't boaters. Don't know more.
CB (Citizen Band)- power limit 4 watts, no license, bulky units. Doesn't match goals for handhelds camping or farming. Good for vehicle mounted.
HAM (Amateur Radio)- no power limits, slim hand helds, $15 /test /person for 10yr for each of 3 license levels. With the right equipment you can talk to the other side of the planet. The antennas are longer and license setup rules this out for our primary family network. Though my hubby is a HAM and will eventually have 2 radios.
GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service)- 50watt power limit, repeaters, $70 for 10yr family license, no test, slim hand held units. This is what I'm investigating for family use good coverage in town and decent repeater network across country.