Walking my two Alpacas.

mocnarf

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I retired a couple of years ago and decided I need something more to do. So, I decided to start a backyard farm. I have two katadin sheep and two Alpacas. I like to walk and walk 3 to 4 miles a day. I take my critters on my walks. There are many good walking trails near were I live. I figure this is a way my critters can earn their keep. Anyone else walk their Alpacas on a regular basis? Here's some pictures.
WP_20170730_12_17_34_Rich.jpg
2017-03-23 10.26.03.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's an interesting building behind you in the first pic. What is that?
Sure is, where do you live @mocnarf? You can put it in your profile.
Really sorry I didn't happen to see your other posts!! I'd love to be able to walk my 2 alpacas ... if only to the barn so I can trim their nails!

Katie burgoyne

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would love to be able to take my alpacas for walks. We just got them in October and they are each about a year and half old. We are going to work on it, right now they won't even let us put harnesses on them. How long have you had yours?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome @Katie burgoyne !! Do tell us about yourself in the introductions thread:
https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/

I got mine 2 free 1 year ago from some people down the road that were planning to move to Florida this spring. They did, in June. I put their halters on this spring so I could shear them (long story). I was going to snag them again to trim their feet and they are STILL wearing them :hide. They do NOT want to be touched and they refuse to be trapped in the barn where I could get a lead on them with some effort. They run like the wind if I try to go around and close their outside door.

Katie burgoyne

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I
:welcome @Katie burgoyne !! Do tell us about yourself in the introductions thread:
https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/

I got mine 2 free 1 year ago from some people down the road that were planning to move to Florida this spring. They did, in June. I put their halters on this spring so I could shear them (long story). I was going to snag them again to trim their feet and they are STILL wearing them :hide. They do NOT want to be touched and they refuse to be trapped in the barn where I could get a lead on them with some effort. They run like the wind if I try to go around and close their outside door.

We got ours free too. They don't mind being touched and will run up to you if you go outside. One has had a harness on since we bright him home and we can't get it off we are hoping since they are young we can work with them. Ours run from the dog (she's in a desperate section of the yard now) and our 2 year olds!

Katie burgoyne

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He won't let me get close enough. He's skiddish then there was an incident with the dog chasing him and he jumped the fence and ended up have to be neutered because of his fence jumping and not clearing it indecent. I didn't want to make him more angry/skiddish of me. I'm going to try again today while bribing him with a carrot.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can, get him into an enclosed space (this is where I have a problem, getting them in there). I have a short "alley" that runs between an outer wall and a stall to their door. They could both fit in it and turn around. So I narrowed it at my hip level (about 3') to about 30" and while only one fits at a time, he can STILL turn around! I don't know how a body that long can turn around in that narrow a space. Of course there is head/neck room over the barrier. Once in the enclosed area, put a towel over his head which should calm him.

In THEORY if you get a rope over their back at the base of their neck they will calm ... not mine though. If you watch some Youtube videos some people have long sticks with light line attached. They make a big loop and use the stick to reach it over their head from a distance. When the stick is pulled to bring the loop closer around their neck, the line can be taken off the stick and used as a lead. I don't have such a thing so I don't know if it would work on mine. I suspect they would shy away from the whole contraption and run. BUT yours are friendlier so you might have better luck.

If you DO manage to get him stopped and can get your hand on the halter, it might be worth putting a reasonably long lead on the halter (maybe 6') and just sit in a chair. Let him get used to the lead being there, don't try to make him walk on it. If yours like treats, maybe he will come for them. When you are done you can take the halter off with the lead still attached.

Good luck!!

Latest posts