Wall covering for butchering?

kenfromMaine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi,
I am thinking of setting up a area for processing poultry, I presently am using an area in a lean to attached to the end of my garage. I want to close this area in and make it just a processing area and was wondering what to use for the interior wall and ceiling covering? I kinda want to set it up so I could use it to process for the public. small scale. Would like to do it right the first time but not break the bank either. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also any pics of your setups.
Thanks for your feed back,
ken from Maine

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Yup stainless steel is the way to go. It is not as pricey as you might think either.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Another easy steel option (which we did in the wall of our buck's barn for easy cleaning) would be to use corrugated steel roof panels, from like a Menards or other home store. They are about $15 or if you wait for a good sale you could get them even cheaper.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
FRP wall panels. FRP being fiberglass reinforced plastic.

The place you have most likely seen it the most is in convience store bathrooms But, it's in restaraunt kitchens too and in grocery store meat departments.

They got it at home depot. You can google it and see what I'm talking about.

Your work surfaces absolutely need to be stainless steel.

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Not sure how it works in Maine but in Ohio ALL of your work surfaces have to be Stainless Steel.

The walls here have to be FRP or stainless or another approved nonpourous surface.

You also have to have a seperate septic to catch all of your wash / waste water as well as a contract set up with a collection company. None of the waste water can be put into the ground.
All "inedibles" must also be kept and stored and a contract set up with a waste hauling company.

You must also have a hand wash sink and an approved SOP. The area surrounding the building must be free of clutter as well as an easily accessible drive to get to the building ( they prefer gravel, well the ohio ODA does anyways).

There is also records you have to keep of the amount of animals you butcher as well as who owns the animals.

Our septic had to be drawn up and approved by an engineer that specilaizes in that type of work as well as approved after it goes into the ground. Same with the electrical. The processing place must also have hot / running water.

Now mind you what we are doing is more than chickens it is beef, pork, goats, etc but just wanted to give you an idea of what they might end up asking for.

Our current price tag is sitting around $26,000 ( and we still have a ways to go) and that is not including the building, that we already have ( just have some tweaking to do)

SillyChicken

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
google what ever governing body determines what the requirements are for public meat processing/sales are for your area. That is the best way to find out what you need to do. No sense following guidelines for a different area than yours.

FRP panels are what I would also recommend. Our guidelines want a wall covering that you can wash... FRP is really good for this.