Wanna-Be Farmer in KY!

HomesteadHappy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Alexis. I joined this site because I love Backyard Chickens and was directed here. I plan to get to sheep and goats in 2023 and would love to learn everything I can in the meantime to prepare. So if y'all have any information to share on where I can purchase, how to raise, etc., I will gladly listen!

I also live in Louisville, KY and love the country life. I am doing my best to move towards self-sufficient living! Don't be afraid to say hello.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome and I hope you enjoy the site. There are a lot of sheep in and around Kentucky so availability isn't an issue. It's hard to write a whole lot of detail not knowing where you are starting from and more about what you DON'T know. :) You can usually get answers fairly quick as there is a ton of experience on the site. We raise Katahdin hair sheep and chickens but don't have goats. Our original plan when we first started 8 years ago was to get both but quickly found that sheep were enough of a work load for where we are at our age.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome from Va. There are lots of goat people, so get on some of the sites and read some of the threads.... As @Mike CHS said, it is hard to give advice until you give some background and idea of what you do/don't know. Do you have a place for them? Do you have any livestock knowledge? Maybe you need to find a local group that has or shows some animals, go to meeting's that the local extension office gives... try to find someone that needs a little grunt work help to mentor you.... I would love to find someone who could do some of the physical work I need done since I cannot do it at this point... but knee replacement is scheduled, so hope I can get back to "doing" again.
Did you fill out the "questionaire"....???

HomesteadHappy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome and I hope you enjoy the site. There are a lot of sheep in and around Kentucky so availability isn't an issue. It's hard to write a whole lot of detail not knowing where you are starting from and more about what you DON'T know. :) You can usually get answers fairly quick as there is a ton of experience on the site. We raise Katahdin hair sheep and chickens but don't have goats. Our original plan when we first started 8 years ago was to get both but quickly found that sheep were enough of a work load for where we are at our age.
Ah I see. Well, I am looking for East Friesian sheep and haven't come across anywhere nearby that sells them unfortunately. Sounds like a nice flock! How many do you have?

HomesteadHappy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:welcome from Va. There are lots of goat people, so get on some of the sites and read some of the threads.... As @Mike CHS said, it is hard to give advice until you give some background and idea of what you do/don't know. Do you have a place for them? Do you have any livestock knowledge? Maybe you need to find a local group that has or shows some animals, go to meeting's that the local extension office gives... try to find someone that needs a little grunt work help to mentor you.... I would love to find someone who could do some of the physical work I need done since I cannot do it at this point... but knee replacement is scheduled, so hope I can get back to "doing" again.
Did you fill out the "questionaire"....???
Right now I would say I don't much at all. I am reading books and plenty of articles on the matter. I would love to find someone who would show me the ropes. No idea how to do that either though ha. This is a whole new world to me, but one I find incredibly wonderful and want to immerse in completely. I would like to have East Friesian sheep for dairy purposes. I have an acre of land and would hope to have two ewes and a buck. I would sell the offspring as well. Thank you for your reply! I did not fill out a questionnaire. Where is it? I would be happy to.

HomesteadHappy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For us, Sheep we’re a big thing back in the 80’s, when we we’re on the Ranch in the Dakotas. None since then.

And between Indiana and Alaska were Florida, West Virginia, Texas and North Dakota!
Gee, that's a lot of states! Sounds like me. Was it for work or just enjoyed the change?