Want to Build a Goat Barn

Goat Shaman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I want to build a goat barn but I don't know where to begin. I milk my goats, and I want a barn where I can keep my feed and milk my does. They are in a fenced in area with a dinky little shelter and I think they need something better than a little shelter. Their feed is in my house and I bring it out to them.

I'm looking for someone local who can help me out with a barn project; I would like to use the cheapest materials possible. I live in northeast TX.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to do some serious scrounging. Businesses that receive goods in wood shipping crates often give them away. They can be taken apart and used for building. If there is a metal roofing company nearby, they often have roll end pieces that can be bought for less money. Construction sites are a good place, ask permission to scrounge in the roll off boxes for usable lumber. Lowes has a cull rack where you can buy reject lumber on the cheap.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Think "shed" and go from there. Lots of free plans, ideas, pictures on the internet... Decide what you want then go for it!

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Craiglist often has offers of a shed for free because it is unsightly/not needed and the owner wants it removed. You could start with the shed being the feed storage area and build off it a stall area for the goats. Some people use a carport or hoop shaped building, and make the bottom course very sturdy to withstand goat shenanigans. I would use good lumber, even if scrounged, because the labor you put in is too valuable to watch it deteriorate. For example, building with pallets is just asking for repeating the effort in short time.

Goat Shaman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. I was thinking of starting with a foundation and making that my focus first. I want something about 8' by 16'.

Latest posts