want to show rabbits, what do i do???

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
okay, have dutch, mini rex,and some i'm not sure of. what do i need to look for in the dutch and rex breeds? what do i need to do to prepare them for showing? what kind of classes should be available at the shows. there will be a show close to home in october, want to start planning now.

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
currycomb said:
okay, have dutch, mini rex,and some i'm not sure of. what do i need to look for in the dutch and rex breeds? what do i need to do to prepare them for showing? what kind of classes should be available at the shows. there will be a show close to home in october, want to start planning now.
www.arba.net. Look up a show in your area, and go to it. Ask lots of questions and watch the breeds being shown. You can try showing on your first day too. Don't bbe disappionted if don't do well. Treat it as a learning experience.

You will need to make sure the rabbit has a readable tattoo number in its left ear. They also have to meet the breed standard and be free of disease and disqualifications. Best thing to do is read up on the breed standards. Small breeds show as 4-class rabbits. You will know the proper age of the animal to enter it in. Like sr buck(over 6 months old), sr doe, jr buck, jr doe(under six months old). Some breeds like dutch and mini rex show by variety. So you will need to make sure you know what color it is. For example castor mini rex sr buck, would show in the castor mini rex sr buck class. Brokens would show in the broken class. Same with dutch, blues, greys, blacks, etc all show in their variety classes. A best and best opposite sex of variety is chosen from each color. Those get to compete for best in breed.

DRPepper

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You'll need to buy the SOP (standards of perfection) book from ARBA. It's about $20. It has all of the standards for all the breeds. Apparently the standards are copywritten and cannot be published outside of the official ARBA book, so you won't find them online. This bothered me when I first started because I didn't want to pay for ALL of the standards. But, the book is worth it, especially if you have multiple breeds