War Stories

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
thewife,
Black cows and black calves and black bulls on a black night. That has to rate near the top of not-so-smart things to do. ( And we know that it's likely that every one of us would have done the same.)

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've had a few things with my bull calf scare me, but not too too much!!!

One time I was trying to catch him, and I grabbed his neck, however he dragged me against the wood fence! OUCH!!! He got tied up that day with his halter on rather than halter training :)

Another time, once him and his friend were in the big pen, I was taking him out to halter train (Again, he really hasn't gotten the hang of it ) and his friend sneaked out, got wedged behind a door. The he started kicking like crazy... Eventually I got him back in.

And, since I'm a kid and I got bored, I decided to try riding my calf... .He's six months old now, and I'm still a kid so he was ok with it. I sat on him at first, and he tolerated it, the I tried getting him to move so he took a few steps then I jumped off :) Then, the third time, I accidentally slid down onto his neck.... Then he tried moving, and i eventually fell off :lol: It was actually quite fun!!!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My Uncle had his leg shattered being thrown from a horse once. It was broken in 4 places. He was in traction for 8 months and they lost the Ranch due to financial problems afterwards. I think loosing the ranch was harder to take then the break.

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When I was kid once upon a time, a long, long time ago, we had a holstein milk cow...

This was back in the days when all hay came in 80 lb squares. My dad built the hay shed out of alternating 2 x 4's to about 20 ft. high. Well, the cows started licking out what they could reach between the 2 x 4's. As the reachable hay got higher then their heads you would think thats it, right? Nope. Us kids got home from school one day and when I went out to feed the cows, the holstein milk cow was about 10 ft off the ground hanging off the side of the hay shed. She had some how managed to climb by sticking her feet in between the 2 x 4's to reach the hay further up and then she got tired and stuck.

Dad was still at work and we didn't have a phone, so it fell to the neighbour a 1/2 mile down the road to get her down. It became a community project involving some beer, a tractor and come- a- longs. The cow survived.

We also had my brothers 4H lamb who was raised with the dogs for company. Grandpa bought it back for him at the sale and when it was grown, it would sit out at the road and chase cars. Then there was the other milk cow that used to eat the neighbours (2 miles down the road) laundry off their clothes line and regurgitate it. It took a long time for them to figure that one out. They were somewhat P...sed. I remember them chewing my dad out in the middle of the night.

We had a reputation for strange animals. I swear it was the water!