Warbles? I think my rabbit had one.

akatennant

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I noticed a brown spot on the neck of my junior New Zealand doe. I pulled her out and hosed her off thinking it was poop. Well, as I examined thoroughly, I noticed a cut on her skin. I don't know much about rabbits. I've only had them for a month now. So, I had never heard of warbles. As I prodded around, I saw something that reminded me of a science fiction movie. It was something moving around, with a weird mouth on it. So, I pulled it out. It was about as big around as a AAA battery and probably a 1/4 inch long. I didn't know that you were supposed to be extra careful pulling them out, or you could cause the creature to let off a deadly toxin. So, right now, the rabbit has been separated (far away from the others' cages) and seems to be doing fine. However, the hole that had the nasty creature, has brownish gray liquid around it. I sprayed some antibacterial spray on it.

I've got three questions.

1. How do I treat the infected rabbit?

2. How do I know if the others have the same problem?

3. How do I prevent this from occurring again?

Thanks in advance for the help.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our cat had a warble (wold worm) once. It was a positively disgusting discovery. The vet removed it and cleaned the open wound, but there was some necrosis and it took a while for it to heal. My biggest concern would be making sure the hole doesn't close up and trap any necrotic tissue or infection, but that was the only time we've dealt with it so I can't offer much more than that. Prior to that I'd never even heard of a warble/wolf worm. Our kitty recovered with just a small scar and never had another. I hope your rabbit recovers without complication!

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had a puppy get one once. It was the most disgusting thing I ever saw. I didn't know any better and reacted...I just pulled it right out. THEN I heard about how dangerous that can be if not done right. I was lucky...pup recovered just fine. But man was that disgusting. Ewwwwwww.......

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I pulled one of those bot fly warbles out of a kitten once. It was the most disgusting thing. :sick I've never heard they have a toxin. Are you sure that's not a myth? I know one thing though, it did stink! :sick

akatennant

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thanks for the info. i don't know myth from truth on this. i'm hoping myth. one thing for surei think we all agreethey are absolutely disgusting! i'm a grown man and it still makes me cringe. and it takes a lot to make me cringe.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here's the way to handle them. Get hold of the breathing tube with tweezers. Slight pressure around the swelling will usually make it pop out or if not, smear a thick coating of vaseline over the hole. That will cause it to poke out the breathinbg tube looking for air so you can get hold of it. Now here's the tricky part. Infections only come when you leave part of the bot larvae inside, so just keep a steady pull on it till it lets go. That may take a half minute or so but eventually it will lose its grip and come out whole. If it tears you are in for a vet bill to clean it out. If you can get it out whole there should be no infection. The bot larvae only eats live tissue so it actually exudes a natural antibiotic that keeps the hole clean. its waste products are deposited outside the hole so there is no danger of infection from that. You can clean around the hole to get rid of any waste that may be deposited there but don't try to get any antibiotic inside the hole and don't cover it with a bandage. The natural antibiotic the bot left is better than anything available to you..

akatennant

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks! Too bad I already pulled it out without any regard for the creature. It's been three days and my rabbits still alive though.

Latest posts