Washing sheep

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine are wool sheep and I don't wash them. The lanolin on their coats keeps them relatively waterproof, so is best left.

If they were being shown (something I rarely do), then I'd consider cleaning them up. I also wash their rear ends if they scour badly and are caked up, especially in blow fly season. If they are really badly affected and have 'dags', then I cut off the dags and then clean them up.....not the most glamorous of pastimes, but really needs to be done in the hot weather (in addition to spraying with long-acting insecticides).

A good downpour usually sorts out the general mud, dust and other nasties that they may have lain in.

In spite of never being washed they actually smell quite pleasant (unless they have scours!). Well, the ewes do, whereas the rams are beginning to get really stinky at this time of year......but that's ram smell!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are your sheep hair sheep or wool sheep? If they are hair sheep their wool will start growing in about now for winter. They will shed out the dirty wool in the spring. If they are wool sheep, you will shear them in the spring and get rid of the dirty wool then. Unless they are excessively sticky - to the point that dirt, leaves and sticks are sticking to their wool or hair, don't bother washing them.

On the other hand, if you have to wash them for some reason, dishwashing liquid is what you should use. It cuts the grease (lanolin) in the wool and gets them very clean. Be sure to rinse many times to get out all the soap. Then, tie them up short till they are dry to avoid having them roll while wet. Advice from a 4-H mom who has watched her children wash their show sheep several times because they got loose and rolled in the dirt while still wet!
:lol: Funny now but then - :barnie

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am new to sheep, but it seems they are not normally washed. Mine are covered in some kind of sticky substance (insect residue?) that is on some of the tall grasses. I am wondering if it is a problem to leave it on them. Should I wash them or leave them be? Thank you.
I guess it is insect residue. it's very difficult to remove but you can use a strong soap.. that's what my cousin use for his sheep.. seems to work too.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am new to sheep, but it seems they are not normally washed. Mine are covered in some kind of sticky substance (insect residue?) that is on some of the tall grasses. I am wondering if it is a problem to leave it on them. Should I wash them or leave them be? Thank you.
I don't know about that, They are not really fond of water, Here in the Philippines, they run like hell when its bath time, :D:D:D

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Howdy!
I can't say for sure without being there, but you may have discovered lanolin, known bu many knick-names, such as "wool-wax," or "wool-grease," to name a few. our Katahdins and Suzi (a Dorper) all produced it. It is water-soluble so a gentle rinse with the hose or rain work great. We like the $10.00 garden watering wand (wallymart) with a garden hose shut off valve (~$3-4) to better a regulate pressure.
***Most animals don't like a "hissing" (associated with the warning of attack) sound or spray. Things that spray (skunks) are typically, bad.*** Both are "alarm" triggers, so we try to avoid them.

Lanolin is sticky if you handle your sheep (highly recommended) your hands will be"waxed."
Actually, it is great for the skin and sold in stores.
But, dirt will stick to it and those pretty sheep become pretty dirty.

A quick test: rub yoursheep until your hands are waxed. Dip yourhands into a some water and rub them together.
If thewax came off, most likely lanolin and a sign of healthy sheep

Also, sheep like to rub. Gates, walls, whatever. It's a sheep thing, and wax will stick to those areas.
Let us know what you learn :)

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mine are wool sheep and I don't wash them. The lanolin on their coats keeps them relatively waterproof, so is best left.

If they were being shown (something I rarely do), then I'd consider cleaning them up. I also wash their rear ends if they scour badly and are caked up, especially in blow fly season. If they are really badly affected and have 'dags', then I cut off the dags and then clean them up.....not the most glamorous of pastimes, but really needs to be done in the hot weather (in addition to spraying with long-acting insecticides).

A good downpour usually sorts out the general mud, dust and other nasties that they may have lain in.

In spite of never being washed they actually smell quite pleasant (unless they have scours!). Well, the ewes do, whereas the rams are beginning to get really stinky at this time of year......but that's ram smell!
The basic equipment you'll need to wash your sheep for show will include a hose, a fitting stand (if you have one), a spray attachment, livestock soap, a curry comb, a blow dryer (optional, but recommended if you wash a lot of sheep), and sheep blankets to keep your lambs clean until the show day once they're washed.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Before shearing, there is no need to wash their sheep. Nobody does. After it has been sheared, the wool gets washed and passed (skirted) to get rid of all the vegetable matter and gross spots.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
With my wool sheep, washing would take forever. Most are hill sheep and the wool is pretty waterproof, too, so they laugh at rain. Even those sheep that are going to the shows tend only to have their faces and bums washed as washing the whole sheep would be a monumental task.

Oh, and they hate water other than that which falls from the skies.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
With my wool sheep, washing would take forever. Most are hill sheep and the wool is pretty waterproof, too, so they laugh at rain. Even those sheep that are going to the shows tend only to have their faces and bums washed as washing the whole sheep would be a monumental task.

Oh, and they hate water other than that which falls from the skies.
I know sheep are very difficult to wash, they don't like getting wet, I had an experience being kicked when I tried to wash one before. :D