Washington

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Western WA, close to Olympia. dh and I raise registered Scottish Highland Cattle. We are going on our third year of owning them and we love it. :D

czilas

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am near Olympia also. Really in Tenino though. I don't own any cows, yet! :D

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, there!

I'm in Tenino, too (a bit closer to Bucoda, actually), and my hubby and I just got started raising Scottish Highlands! We brought our first two girls, Sheila of Valhalla and Rustler's Bridgit, home on June 21st, and we're delighted daily by their antics. Both are supposedly bred...we're planning to have a vet come out next month for a palpatation.

Hey, Amy from Allen's Acres...have you ever had your animals' feet done? I saw the list of potential foot-groomers on the NWHCA site. Sheila's back toes are starting to cross and she's just not wearing them down on our rocky soil (amazingly enough). Any suggestions?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
she needs her hooves trimmed.when the vet comes to palpate them.he can trimm her hooves for you.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use Bruce Henry, he is in Centralia and we walk the cattle into the chute and they go on a tilt table. They are completely strapped in and he and his partner give all four feet a nice trim. We have this done once a year and its very safe for the cattle and the trimmer. His cell phone number is 360-388-0558.
He is a REALLY nice guy. I dont remember his exact prices but he is pretty cheap, something like 20 for the farm call and 15 for the trim? I forget, you would have to call and ask. He does need electricity to plug into to work the tilt table and he uses a grinder after he nips the hooves.

Congrats on your Highlands. They seem to be getting pretty popular in WA.

edited to add....I LOVE your blog. Im reading bits here and there but have to go teach a lesson. Will read more later. Doncha just love the farm life! ;) And welcome to NWHCA...Ive met some really nice folks through that association. I hope to show at Puyallup this year, but I need to pay a shipper to get to and fro.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, Amy,

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely give him a call. This is probably a lame question, but since we're just starting out...we do not own a squeeze shute or head gate. We're using Dr. Sparling in Chehalis as our vet (very highly recommended), and he said as long as we can secure them with a halter and lead, even if it's in the crook of an apple tree (and they're not too squirrely), he doesn't anticipate problems. I'm a bit nervous though, as we're still getting to know the girls. Do you guys have the full setup? What do you recommend? (We do have a gate we could probably tie shut behind them in a pinch, I just worry about damaging their horns somehow.)

(Thanks for the blog kudos. I really enjoy that...maybe someday I can quit my day job and blog full time from a laptop in view of the cows!)

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a head gate and we built a chute. I lead the cow in, and someone from behind PUSHES! lol...my fault as I didnt practice before the vet came. Fortunately our vet, Dr Glore (Brady Vet) is patient and understanding. I told him this was our first time having cows get their shots.

Now in your case, if you can take a pipe panel and have the cow tied say in the corner of a stall, and use the pipe panel to push up against her on one side, it will be in the shape of a V and then the vet wont get kicked. I tried to look for a photo on line but could not find one.

You wont damage their horns, and if you ever buy a head gate, new or used, get the scissor kind not the swinging flap kind. I was given one of the flap kinds and it did work but its not as easy as the other kind.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Amy, have you shown your cattle before? I'm curious to find out more about how to do it, getting started and the cows trained, etc., but am finding few resources on the topic. I actually just scheduled Sept. 19th off so I can be sure to be there (as a spectator) for the show at the Puyallup Fair. I'm very excited to see how it's done and meet some of our fellow NWHCA members!

czilas

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Are you going to Elma for the Grays Harbor Fair? What time Sept. 19th is the show in Puyallup? I would love to attend as a spectator also.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't actually know the time for Puyallup off-hand...I'm going to check my latest issue of the Bagpipe to see if it's in there.

I wasn't planning on attending the Grays Harbor one...do you know the date?

Latest posts