Watchdog geese?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Geese are seasonal layers. Our pilgrims are currently being hormonal brats and are in their own personal jail pen away from anything they can rip the heads off of so eggs are coming (no human aggression, though). Depending on the breed they lay between 10 and I want to say 55 eggs per year. I believe it's usually spring time, and if your geese are young, maybe, MAYBE a brood in the fall. The ones that lay more eggs are often more of a handful. My mom has Africans, they top off at 45 eggs. She now wishes she had pilgrims because hers are loud as all get out and very aggressive. They start shrieking in their pen whenever anyone but her comes out, so they're great alarms, and would defend against people, but not so great against wildlife. Chinese can be a little more highly strung, and lay even more.

The great thing about geese is that even though they're pretty big birds, they don't seem to eat that much feed. I've also lost no birds to hawks since getting geese, mostly I suspect, because the geese flap their wings when they get nervous, and that makes the hawks lose confidence and reconsider.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The males are better guards, IMO but more prone to violence. The ladies don't guard so much, but they are sweet hearts. If I were you, and looking for goose guards for my yard, I would get a breeding pair or a trio and have the best of both worlds. When it's not the breeding season, they are like dogs.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The males are better guards, IMO but more prone to violence. The ladies don't guard so much, but they are sweet hearts. If I were you, and looking for goose guards for my yard, I would get a breeding pair or a trio and have the best of both worlds. When it's not the breeding season, they are like dogs.
Part of this depends on the breed- our female BC are the first to set off the alarm. This breed also lays more eggs than some of the other breeds- 50-60 a season if I remember right.

The Chinese geese are also one of the top picks for guard geese, they are loud and protective. @Lizjax I recommend you research some of the different breeds and see what suits you. We had Toulouse geese too, I don’t like them as much as our BC, and the BC gave use more eggs per season. Each breed is a little different :)