Water question

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We live in Central Florida and we have city water. We recently have found out that our water is high in calcium and other solids. After losing Fawn to UC I panicked about what to do. People have said that I should only give rain water or bottled water to my kids until they are at least six months old. I had a choice, I could go buy a 2 1/2 gallon bottle of water a week or get one of those filtering water jugs and just use the tap water filtered. We decided to go with the zero filtration jug. It's a little more work but they don't get any solids in the water at all with this thing and they seem to be drinking more of the water too...What are your thoughts?

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It’s not the calcium/solids as much as it is the chlorine/fluoride, etc that they add to the water that’s the problem.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This zero water system is good. We have a tester with it. Tested the tap, then filtered some and tested that. what a difference. We'll be giving them filtered water from now on...

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s the way I would’ve gone too! Buying water would add up fast!! We spend a lot of money already on our animals that no one sees, now to pay for water...at least with the filter, you can reap the benefits yourself!!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
We live in Central Florida and we have city water. We recently have found out that our water is high in calcium and other solids. After losing Fawn to UC I panicked about what to do. People have said that I should only give rain water or bottled water to my kids until they are at least six months old. I had a choice, I could go buy a 2 1/2 gallon bottle of water a week or get one of those filtering water jugs and just use the tap water filtered. We decided to go with the zero filtration jug. It's a little more work but they don't get any solids in the water at all with this thing and they seem to be drinking more of the water too...What are your thoughts?
We also live in Florida but have a well with a filter system, our problem here is iron in our water.
If you can water them through the filtered tap water, it has got to be better than the rain water that picking up all the airborne contamination that is the air.
I also feed Dumor goat pellets with ammonium chloride for U C issues. and UT health

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We also feed DuMor goat pellets with AC but we did lose Fawn to UC. He was not quite 4 months old when he died. I also add 1/2 tsp of powdered AC to their feed to help. One week on and three weeks off of the extra AC. I give a handfull of raisins and BOSS once a week for thiamine. We will continue to use the filtered water for them until at least six months old. I never considered water to be an issue but I guess everything has to be watched out for.....

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were giving our rabbits rain water..and we lost a bunch..a farmer friend said...no way!! Now it’s only tap for them!! Right now the rain water goes to ducks, chickens and pigs....

lilipansy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What causes UC is mineral imbalance. Too much phosphorus in relation to calcium creates calcification in the urine. In feed your ratio should be 2 1/2 to 1 on calcium to phosphorus. If you know what your calcium levels are (in the water plus the feed), just make sure your feed has the adequate phosphorus amount. Here's some good reading on the subject.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
A friend on another forum JUST had to take her doe to the vet for this yesterday ...and now another is asking tons of questions about what to feed their new wether....I recommended oats? But I only had my buck for two months...so I really can make no educatEd inputs...which is why I’m coming to you

Latest posts