water

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Whats the best thing to use for rabbits water? Bottles sound good but could be a pain in the neck if you have a lot of rabbits. Also freezing could be a problem during winter time. Just looking a head :) Thanks for any ideas Scotty

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
where we are, bottles freeze and crack, so we use bowls, cups, pans, anything we can find actually. it freezes, but then we pour hot water over the ice and they lap it up with zest. if not enough room for more water, a new bowl is used and frozen one hauled to house to thaw(went to junk stores and bought all useable bowls for a quarter each) carry the water out in gallon jugs, or two liter bottles and just pour.

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks I was wondering how hard it would be the cold. One question done LOL.

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I always use pans. Some rabbits are a pain and dump it, bur that can be remedied by building a small frame for it. I only use metal in the winter, because you can bang the ice out when it freezes.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use water bottles for some of my rabbits and it gets plenty cold here. I found that as long as you do not fill the bottle completely full (leave an air space) the bottles will not break. And I use empty soda bottles too not the expensive ones sold in pet stores. Just buy the screw on tops they sell for 2 liter bottles (don't use 2 liter bottles. They just collapse) and don't fill to the top and everything will be fine.

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Both good ideas thanks. Im still doing my home work on this rabbit thing LOL Scotty :hu

Goatzilla

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I live pretty close to your area. (Tiverton). When you are ready to dig a little deeper into raising rabbits, you are more than welcome to come out to my place and check out my rabbitry. I often have exceptional breeder rabbits for sale. Most of the rabbits that I butcher are as good as what many people are competing with at rabbit shows. The one most important piece of information that you will need to remember is that it costs just as much to feed and maintain excellent, efficient, top quality rabbits, as it does to raise and maintain slow growing, heavy boned, mixed mutts. Your foundation stock is the key to success.
sc00ter4900 said:
Both good ideas thanks. Im still doing my home work on this rabbit thing LOL Scotty :hu

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Goatzilla said:
I live pretty close to your area. (Tiverton). When you are ready to dig a little deeper into raising rabbits, you are more than welcome to come out to my place and check out my rabbitry. I often have exceptional breeder rabbits for sale. Most of the rabbits that I butcher are as good as what many people are competing with at rabbit shows. The one most important piece of information that you will need to remember is that it costs just as much to feed and maintain excellent, efficient, top quality rabbits, as it does to raise and maintain slow growing, heavy boned, mixed mutts. Your foundation stock is the key to success.
sc00ter4900 said:
Im building a n 8x16 chicken coop Leaving a space for rabbit hutches if thats what im going to do.Whats the best time of year to start rabbits? Thanks Scotty

Dennis

Just born
Reaction score
Hello Scotty,
I use waterbottles most of the year,
I despise water-bowls though I am forced to
use them in the colder winter months.
Bowls are an excellent vector for disease due to the rabbits
frequently urinating and defecating in them.
I rince them out before each filling. I fill them at least twice
per day in the winter months. I do not use bottles in the winter
due to the fact that: The metal sipper tube freezes
much more quickly than the water in the bottle does.
This makes it impossible for the rabbit to drink the water that one thinks is available to them. A rabbit must have "drinkable" water available to them or they will not eat. If they do not eat they will lose condition and are apt to die for lack of proper balanced nutrition.
Dennis, C.V.R.

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Dennis said:
Hello Scotty,
I use waterbottles most of the year,
I despise water-bowls though I am forced to
use them in the colder winter months.
Bowls are an excellent vector for disease due to the rabbits
frequently urinating and defecating in them.
I rince them out before each filling. I fill them at least twice
per day in the winter months. I do not use bottles in the winter
due to the fact that: The metal sipper tube freezes
much more quickly than the water in the bottle does.
This makes it impossible for the rabbit to drink the water that one thinks is available to them. A rabbit must have "drinkable" water available to them or they will not eat. If they do not eat they will lose condition and are apt to die for lack of proper balanced nutrition.
Dennis, C.V.R.
Welcome to the forum Dennis Your knowlege will be great here . Thanks again
Scotty

Latest posts