waterbelly 911

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@JeepGirl, my experiences with this are very similar to @Sheepshape's, and sadly, most of these are not curable, though draining them can offer immediate relief and often can extend their lives for many months.

I agree that the antibiotic enrofloxacin (Baytril) would be best for this, and this link shows where is you can get it without a prescription: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources.74374/

When draining, I found it much easier to do with a large needle, so now I use a size 18 or larger.

Since she is laying multiple soft shelled eggs giving her some oral calcium and D3 might help with that.

I am really sorry you're going through this, I know how heart breaking it can be. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. :hugs

I lost half my flock to a fox a few weeks ago so this is tough.
Very sorry for your losses. :hugs

Last edited:

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Not much to update so soon, but I will say that I was able to drain just under 300ccs off of her (didn't drain everything so I don't induce shock) used an 18g needle with 60cc syringe.
Filled up the syringe then disconnected from the needle - so I didnt have to stick her multiple times - and let it flow freely for a bit.

The next afternoon she laid a normal hard shell egg for the first time in a week and was breathing so much better.
Shes still walking around with the flock and acting normal, but im sure it will kill her in the end.
I will start her on baytril ASAP
Someone suggested CBD oil for discomfort, they said they have had success with that. Might be worth a shot.

ill update again after shes been on antibiotics for awhile.
wish me luck!!

Picture of my gorgeous girl added- hope it shows up!

Attachments

• Lexi.jpg
    Lexi.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 219

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow she's beautiful!!
I'm glad to hear she's doing better :) I read that oregano also helps with pain and infection....that might be worth a shot. I know at tractor supply they have oregano for chickens to help with respiratory infections but It might help her!

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, glad to hear she is feeling better! :hugs

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wanted to update real quick since I said I would!

I drew off around 200 cc's on 5/29 (I think) from her abdomen. After getting the fluid out she was already breathing better and moving more.

Kept her inside overnight and then put her back out with the flock the next day.
The next morning I saw she had something on her back and when I went to look it was a huge hole with maggots in it!!
no idea how it happened Literally overnight so she ended up staying inside for about two weeks while I doctored THAT, too.

I was able to find some oxytetracycline and gave her that for the duration of the two weeks.
So around the second week in June and she still has a little belly and I decide to try to drain it again, I didn't get but maybe 30ccs .

Currently it's July 15th.
She's been outside since last month and I try to keep her separate from the boys unless I'm out there (other than her hubby, Rex... he's too old and lazy to try anything with her).

She is also laying hard shell eggs again. Every two days or so I get an egg.
I don't eat them even though they look and smell fine, I just throw them out for the opossums to eat.

I might try to get some fluid off of her again because she's riding a little low this last week, but honestly much better results than I thought I would get.
For now she has a great appetite she still plays in the stream and the kiddie pool and screams at me when I give her kisses in front of the other ducks

Including a pic!

Attachments

• 20180329_191800.jpg
    20180329_191800.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 230

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's amazing. I would not have thought that she would ever lay proper eggs again. Egg yolk peritonitis occasionally does get better, though about as rare as hens' teeth!

Well done you for all your hard work (especially with the maggots)......and I'm sure her eggs are fine to eat.

Thank you SO much for letting us know about her great progress.

Latest posts