watering eyes

Warped

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We brought our mini donkey home Saturday. He's just the cutest little thing. He's doing great and getting spoiled rotten.
But yesterday evening i noticed his eyes watering.There was wet trails running down his face from his eyes.
Is this normal?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd be worried of pink-eye. Watch him close and treat if more signs show or if it is a problem in your area right now.

appytaz

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Also , look for gnats and flies. My horse will get real teary if I wait to late in the morning to get his fly spray on!

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would clean the eyes with a moist cloth. There is a product that is a tear solution for horses that you can use. People drops that are a tear formula work as well but do not use a "red eye" product. Good luck! He may just have a reaction to some bugs. Keep your eye on him. Donkeys are very sweet so go easy and he will know you are trying to help him.

Warped

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advise.
I wiped his eyes yesterday with a wet cloth and put some horse/pony fly spray on him,and it seems to have helped keep the flys away from his face.
I went out this morning and his eyes are watering a little bit but not as bad as it has been for 2 days.

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Horses get allergies also. You can consult your vet on a product for that if it persists. I also see problems with watery eyes around here if the wind is blowing or it gets dry. A lot of dust gets into our guys eyes and they just need some extra cleaning.

Warped

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks,he rolls in the dirt ALOT! Dust flying everywhere.lol
So maybe it could be all the dirt also. I keep going out and wiping his eyes.
Gosh i swear i love him more than any animal i have ever had. he's just the cutest sweetest thing ever! Follows me around like a dog. Love it!!:D

Oklabarrelracer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I agree with countrymom. You also might think about putting a fly mask on him to keep dust & stuff out of his eyes.

Latest posts