Watering system

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Finally got the watering system up this week.
1. 5 gal bucket up high for a good gravity feed. I fed a short hose through the top (which just sits loosely on the top to keep stuff out of the water).

2. A 'T' to seperate the flow to the two banks of cages.

3. More 'T's to send the juice to each cage.

4. Individual bite valves in the cages.

5. The latest batch.

I'll need to top off the bucket about twice a week, but it beats filling all the water bottles twice a day. The bite valves/Ts I got off Ebay. The rest of the stuff I bought locally. Got about $40 into it. In the winter I'll need to go back to the heated bottles.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a much larger system than you do; filling with a hose is simply not an option. A trip to the hardware store for a few parts including a repair kit for a toilet tank and - voila! - a self-filling system.

You will need to monitor the system to make sure the rabbits have water coming through - tapping the valves like you do with the bottles works. Often the first clue I get is the food consumption goes down - if they can't drink, they won't eat.

Last edited:

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use a hose attached to a stick tank valve, operates the same as toilet tank valve. I also used PVC pipe and it's worth brass nipples.

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think a self filling system will be down the road. Just kind of easing in: making sure I'm going to be in this for awhile. I tap the valves daily, when feeding, to make sure we have flow.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice system! I know it sure saves you a lot of time and energy. Way to go! :thumbsup

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a setup that's very similar with the 5 gallon bucket & bite nipples I'd like to install a fill valve & all but I'm 150' from a water source so I use the hose to fill until I'm ready to dig & install a new water line to the rabbit barn

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm on board with the self filling. We don't live at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here. I.e., hour hardware store lacks the necessary hardware to adapt from the garden hose to the fill valve and float.

Latest posts