Watering using a gravity feed nipple

remadl700

Just born
Reaction score
I have a 35 gallon food grade barrel that I am using for a water supply to the 3 weaner pigs we have. I see them mouthing the nipple and water coming out.

My question: Is the flow rate from a gravity feed nipple at the bottom of a 35 gallon barrel enough to adequately supply these guys?

:hu

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am watering a grown sow and boar off the same type of setup (pig nipple on 55 gal plastic drum) and it works excellent. Once in a while tho it drips and I have to push on the nipple part with a small stick to stop the drip. I think it works wonderfully. I purchased a bird bath heater that will handle up to 25 gal to use for the winter in it. Will fill it half full for winter use. Need to make a second unit as I have to seperate the two soon as she is preggers due in Dec. I am going to put a couple more nipples on the sows unit for use for the piglets. I saw such a setup on a field trip with my grandson last spring and copied it immediately. We've had it going since last spring without any problems.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I put the nipple about 5 inches up on the barrel to allow for shavings/hay(mud/poop!) getting pushed under. Clean out any debris in the barrel with a pool skimmer :).