watering with barrel and nipples... how?

forester7

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would like to set up water nipples to a 55 gallon plastic barrel. I have seen many pictures of this being done. What I don't fully understand is how to attach the nipple to the barrel securely so that it will not get ripped out. The design I have seen that I like best seems to have a bulkhead fitting in the barrel. A pipe attaches to this and branches to 2 nipples. A picture I found is included below. However, my barrel does not have the flat surface to attach a bulkhead fitting. Would a bulkhead fitting directly in the rounded side of the barrel leak? My nipples are 1/2" thread... should I use 1/2" pipes and a 1/2" bulkhead fitting, or go with bigger diameter pipe and fitting with an adapter to allow my 1/2" nipples to screw in? It appears that the one in the picture may use bigger pipe with an adapter?

Any suggestions?

upload_2016-11-23_21-14-13.png

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd like to hear this one, too. My guys tore theirs out in less than 6 hrs AND pushed the darned 20 bucket over. Have seen some directly hooked into the big 55 gal blue ones, about a foot up so there was enough weight to help hold it in place when level lowered as they couldn't drain it. Trust me, they will stick snout thru and push!

This one looks to have a fitting onto a length of pipe with nipples installed. That may be better. All I can say is that they are ROUGH and STRONG little animals. I considered reinforcing the barrel with a large glued on strip in area of attachment for strength. I like the pipe better.

They'll sure climb in and/or tip over a tub.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
How do you train pigs to this? I drilled a hole in the side of a trash can and put in a pig nipple, however, it leaks and the pigs also won't drink out of it. Maybe someone has ideas?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ha my big pigs broke their waterer about 3 minutes after we finished it. I think it would be preferable to train them as piglets. My husband has a plan for a new one, l'll ask him and share it on here.

For now we use rubber feed dishes. They work fine. Occasionally they move them across the pen and I have to climb in.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The one mine destroyed was outside their pen! I'm sure if young ones trained, they would be easier on the equipment. Mine went right to the dang nipple but being used to slurping and plunging in, they got upset -- so did the big ole tub! :p

My AGHs are short legged, so has to be a shorter tub & even partly in a hole. They love to try to lay in it after a drink! Hoping winter will be a time to successfully retrain them.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a nipple attached to a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe and then tied the pipe to a T-post. Outside of the pen the PVC transitioned to a garden hose. Worked fine for my two pigs.

Can't help with the barrel; no experience.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: that may work all year for YOU in CA....it was 30 yesterday morning over here on the E coast.

BUT, I will keep that in mind for Spring :hugs probably good then. Right now, we have to wrap the barrel and hope it's enough. Cold aside, still need to refine the watering system.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We get frozen water lines too so I wrap them in foam insulation. I think I would wrap heated tape around the barrel but then I work overtime to have power and auto waters for all my animals. PVC is cheap and I only have to trench once. I'm too old to haul water.