Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pigs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone
Have any of you traveled long distance with animals. We are taking around 16 goats, 6 sheep, 3 dogs and 2 cats. We would like to hear your experiences on the road with your family and animals.
We are moving to Alaska and are going thru the Canadian border. We are exited and nervous :celebrate:hide I do feel like hiding under a chair sometimes

cathyjk

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Goats and sheep.. geez what is the paperwork you need to do to come into Canada?
Traveled back and forth to goat shows but that was tops 10 hours on the road and we have done lots of traveling with the llamas to go hiking with them.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like I said I sometimes feel like hiding underneath a chair. We are going to have vet signed papers for health. Witch will cost over $5000 dollars to have done. We are moving to a town of 4500 people and are going to be the first goat dairy there ;). What do you use to keep your goats in? We are going to maybe take a donkey with us to.

cathyjk

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a horse trailer that the goats and others rode in. I did take goats in the back of the honda van to shows. The seats came out and we put down a big plastic tarp, covered it with sawdust and straw. They were great travelers. Laid down most the time, only got up to see what was going on when i stopped.

When I have had the goats and sheep going for long trips (except the llamas, they seemed to do just fine), either picking them up or delivering them somewhere, I have given them a shot of Vitamin B to help deal with the stress. I really don't have any idea if it helps, but it doesn't do any harm. You also might consider, the week before you go, giving them a daily scoop of powdered PROBIOS in some feed (we use soaked beet pulp) to make sure their guts are in good shape and can deal with the stress.

Ventilation is really important for long trips. My experience with both goats and sheep is they can easily deal with cold (not wind blowing on them and - degree windchills) but cool is better than the heat.

You can also buy some electrolyte powder and when you stop to give them water, give them water with the electrolytes mixed in. If they have never had them, start with putting in small amounts at home before you go so it isn't foreign to them once they are on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are pretty sure we are taking a three horse stock trailer.

cathyjk

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have found that putting a decent layer of sawdust down first, then straw helped with the urine.

Do you know if you have to go across the border without all the straw and whatever else you might have? Are they going to make you clean out the trailer of organic matter and just have the animals in it?

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Interesting I will have to remember that. Thank you for your advice. It has been very helpful.

cathyjk

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There is also something called DRY STALL.. is has something in it that absorbs ammonia in urine (that's the big deal).
Dry bedding, clean air, water - the big deals for travel.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will look into it. I was trying to think of something to use to keep it from getting to gorse. Thank you. Anything else that I should consider.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Like I said I sometimes feel like hiding underneath a chair. We are going to have vet signed papers for health. Witch will cost over $5000 dollars to have done. We are moving to a town of 4500 people and are going to be the first goat dairy there ;). What do you use to keep your goats in? We are going to maybe take a donkey with us to.
I exported several horses to Canada. I had to get a Vet. Health certificate as well as a Stamped USDA Health certificate which has to come from their Veterinarian from a State Office. The USDA Vet. came to my ranch to inspect my other horses and facilities too. So check with USDA as well as the Canadian Animal Health office for all of their requirements or you will have to camp out near the border and jump through all types of hoops that could become very expensive. :old