We are smitten with this miniature Jersey!

Chebird

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello all!

A few weeks ago, I picked up a little mini Jersey calf, and I never imagined how fun having a calf could be! My husband and I are getting together a little petting zoo. We have eight goats, a mini donkey, 2 mini horses and now Cecil.

I'm posting to check with you experts if you all think I'm on the right track.

He was born June 4th. He drinks 1/2 gallon of whole vit D milk from the store twice a day (per breeder's instructions.) I give him about a quart of water mid day even though he does drink water from a bucket which is always there for him. He has access to our hay barn where he has fun nibbling on Bermuda grass and alfalfa.

I don't have him with the other barnyard animals yet; he is getting to know them through the fencing. He does hang with dogs and a sweet pot-belly pig.

He sleeps in a pen with a shelter and a pile of hay at night and roams on my 1/2 acre back yard during the day. He nibbles on grass and weeds during the day.

The vet is coming Tuesday to vaccinate him and check him out.

The vet doesn't want to band him until the flies are gone. I have a little mini ex-stallion who had cryptorchid surgery last week, and he isn't being bothered by flies. For those of you who have banded little bulls in the summer, did you have many problems with flies and healing? This little guy is sooooo sweet, and I want to get him "broken" before his manliness kicks in. I've read that Jersey bulls can be jerks.

Thanks for any advice!

Holly

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210707_184722.jpg
    MVIMG_20210707_184722.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 146
  • MVIMG_20210701_153700.jpg
    MVIMG_20210701_153700.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20210621_142030.jpg
    IMG_20210621_142030.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 146

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Banding should have no problem with flies at this point. There are no open wounds or anything. Biggest thing is to make sure that both testicles are descended. I would band asap and be done with it... but wait for the last quarter going into the new moon... less swelling and problems....and he does not have to have tetanus when banding this small but it won't hurt him if it is included in a vacc combination...

Jersey bulls can be very aggressive... not all, but many/most. They may be fine for years, but when their hormones "flip", they can be mean and dangerous. Steers make great pets... had one that the son of the people who owned the pasture where they were, used to go out and they would lift him up to sit on this steer.... he would pull handfuls of grass in the yard to give him and pet him and all that....He was destined for the freezer; I sorta hated to butcher him... and it seems like the heifers are never this laid back....must be the hormones (and lack of ) ....

Sounds like he is doing good. I would just cut out the water in the bottle so that he is more likely to go to the bucket more. You will want to be weaning him somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks, so he needs to be eating and drinking good...it sounds like he is getting along about where he should be. If you haven't introduce a little grain... he needs to be eating a couple lbs a day when you wean him so he will grow.... just hay will give a dairy animal more of what we call a hay belly or a pot gut.... they need more/better feed than most beef calves... just the nature of how we have bred them over the years to need more "concentrates" .

Good that you kept him separate from the other animals for a bit. Gives his immune system a chance to get acclimated to your "germs and bugs" ..... biggest thing to watch out for would be scours caused by coccidiosis.... and black leg... the basic vacc he should be getting is black leg right now.... some will push the mlv vaccines for things like IBR, PI3, BVD, and tetanus.... something like Covexin 8 or something.... we use Triangle 10 all killed virus vaccines... and black leg (clostridiums usually like 7 way) is crucial.... You can look any of them up on the internet.... follow the vet's protocol since that who you will be working with... we do not go hog wild with vaccines..... but each vet has their own idea of what they should have / need.

Chebird

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Banding should have no problem with flies at this point. There are no open wounds or anything. Biggest thing is to make sure that both testicles are descended. I would band asap and be done with it... but wait for the last quarter going into the new moon... less swelling and problems....and he does not have to have tetanus when banding this small but it won't hurt him if it is included in a vacc combination...

Jersey bulls can be very aggressive... not all, but many/most. They may be fine for years, but when their hormones "flip", they can be mean and dangerous. Steers make great pets... had one that the son of the people who owned the pasture where they were, used to go out and they would lift him up to sit on this steer.... he would pull handfuls of grass in the yard to give him and pet him and all that....He was destined for the freezer; I sorta hated to butcher him... and it seems like the heifers are never this laid back....must be the hormones (and lack of ) ....

Sounds like he is doing good. I would just cut out the water in the bottle so that he is more likely to go to the bucket more. You will want to be weaning him somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks, so he needs to be eating and drinking good...it sounds like he is getting along about where he should be. If you haven't introduce a little grain... he needs to be eating a couple lbs a day when you wean him so he will grow.... just hay will give a dairy animal more of what we call a hay belly or a pot gut.... they need more/better feed than most beef calves... just the nature of how we have bred them over the years to need more "concentrates" .

Good that you kept him separate from the other animals for a bit. Gives his immune system a chance to get acclimated to your "germs and bugs" ..... biggest thing to watch out for would be scours caused by coccidiosis.... and black leg... the basic vacc he should be getting is black leg right now.... some will push the mlv vaccines for things like IBR, PI3, BVD, and tetanus.... something like Covexin 8 or something.... we use Triangle 10 all killed virus vaccines... and black leg (clostridiums usually like 7 way) is crucial.... You can look any of them up on the internet.... follow the vet's protocol since that who you will be working with... we do not go hog wild with vaccines..... but each vet has their own idea of what they should have / need.
Thank you so much for your detailed information!

Chebird

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have what is probably a stupid question. Cecil has the run of our backyard during the day, and he's put away in a pen at night. (He'll join the 1 acre barnyard when he's weaned.) His pen is not waterproof. There is some wood that Hubby put across the top in one corner. Cecil sleeps on a pile of hay under that. We had a storm last night, and the little guy is soaked. Temp right now is 67 F. He's a 6 week-old mini Jersey. He is bottled fed. He drinks a gallon a day and nibbles on wild grasses, Timothy hay and alfalfa during the day. So my question is, is it fine for this little guy to get soaking wet? I could put him in the hay shed at night. I could also put him with the goats, but I'm worried that they might hurt him.

I just let him out of his pen, and he seems fine. Went right to eating weeds, and he'll get his warm bottle soon. I just want to make sure we're doing right by him.

Sorry, I have had other barnyard critters for years, but this is my first cow.

Blessings,

Holly

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's never ideal for young animals to get soaking wet, so I would say hay barn is a better option.

He looks good though in your pics. Biggest concern I would have besides what Jan said is your pasture size. 1 acre for eight goats, a mini donkey, 2 mini horses and a mini cow is a very small area, you will eventually have very severe issues with parasites. Grazing is not a thing there I am assuming since Arizona stocking rate is 5 goats per 4-13 acres. This is also a very very small area for all those different animals to live together without issues or fights.

Pasture needs for the mini donkey, 2 mini horses, mini cow and 8 goats is 1.11 acres for them to just exist basically.

Chebird

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's never ideal for young animals to get soaking wet, so I would say hay barn is a better option.

He looks good though in your pics. Biggest concern I would have besides what Jan said is your pasture size. 1 acre for eight goats, a mini donkey, 2 mini horses and a mini cow is a very small area, you will eventually have very severe issues with parasites. Grazing is not a thing there I am assuming since Arizona stocking rate is 5 goats per 4-13 acres. This is also a very very small area for all those different animals to live together without issues or fights.

Pasture needs for the mini donkey, 2 mini horses, mini cow and 8 goats is 1.11 acres for them to just exist basically.
Thanks for your reply!

It's really not much of a problem here with raising on a dry lot (there is no pasture). The minie's paddock is about 1 acre. The big horses have their own acre. We feed quality hay 3X/day. Goats get complete goat feed with minerals and baking soda. Mini horses get some alfalfa in addition to the Bermuda. Every species gets separated at noon feeding for their individual needs. Everyone is on a deworming schedule. We haven't had any fights at all, except that boss goat is big and can be rather pushy.

I'm going to put more wood and a tarp up to give the calf a dryer night. If the weather gets real bad, he'll go in the hay shed.

Thanks!!!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

It's really not much of a problem here with raising on a dry lot (there is no pasture). The minie's paddock is about 1 acre. The big horses have their own acre. We feed quality hay 3X/day. Goats get complete goat feed with minerals and baking soda. Mini horses get some alfalfa in addition to the Bermuda. Every species gets separated at noon feeding for their individual needs. Everyone is on a deworming schedule. We haven't had any fights at all, except that boss goat is big and can be rather pushy.

I'm going to put more wood and a tarp up to give the calf a dryer night. If the weather gets real bad, he'll go in the hay shed.

Thanks!!!
Deworming schedule is a bad bad thing. All those animals in that small of a space food needs aside is going to cause parasite problems and the dewormer is going to stop working eventually. I have done/been thru it myself already and it took me 4 yrs of my animals being sick/dying to figure out what the problem/cause was. We used a dewormer schedule and we feed hay/grain/loose minerals/supplements.

They are your animals of course, do as you like I'm just trying to tell you, you are setting yourself for a big issue with very sick/dead animals at some point down the road. Just trying to make sure you are aware of the potential issue before it happens.

You said you are getting together a petting zoo so more animals coming.

Chebird

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Deworming schedule is a bad bad thing. All those animals in that small of a space food needs aside is going to cause parasite problems and the dewormer is going to stop working eventually. I have done/been thru it myself already and it took me 4 yrs of my animals being sick/dying to figure out what the problem/cause was. We used a dewormer schedule and we feed hay/grain/loose minerals/supplements.

They are your animals of course, do as you like I'm just trying to tell you, you are setting yourself for a big issue with very sick/dead animals at some point down the road. Just trying to make sure you are aware of the potential issue before it happens.

You said you are getting together a petting zoo so more animals coming.
Nope, no more animals are coming, and we are following our vet's advice on deworming. Because a majority of the time our weather is dry, we don't have as many parasite issues as other areas. I have kept animals here since 1995 without having a parasite problem.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope, no more animals are coming, and we are following our vet's advice on deworming. Because a majority of the time our weather is dry, we don't have as many parasite issues as other areas. I have kept animals here since 1995 without having a parasite problem.
That would make sense that the dryness helps.

Chebird

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our vet was out yesterday to trim our pig's feet and to band our little Cecil. Cecil did great: no crying or drama. On the other hand, Patty, our pig, sounded like she was being butchered! I asked about worming Cecil, and he said not until he's six month's old.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210720_115700.jpg
    MVIMG_20210720_115700.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 133
  • MVIMG_20210720_125114.jpg
    MVIMG_20210720_125114.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 136
  • MVIMG_20210707_184722.jpg
    MVIMG_20210707_184722.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 140