We are switching our dogs food to raw meat. How much to feed?

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will start on how the first year of his life went.
Boaz first known as Rosco was born in a puppy mill:(. He then went up for adoption at safe haven a animal shelter/puppy mill. He was then gotten by some friends of ours. They didn't know the wpork involved with owning a puppy spent most of his time locked up in the garage or kennel. When he did something wasn't suppose to he got yelled beaten and put away for hours at a time. He was then offered to us and we took him. He was 5 months old when we got him. We didn't quite know how to help him. We have had him for 1 1/2 years now. He is now 2 years old as of 8/16/2015. We have done existence training with him it seems to help but jhe still has issues witch I will talk about in a minute. He knows sit, lay down, down, jump, go to bed, stand, leave it, go head, spin, heel and probably more just can't think of them right now. He is very obedient when I have treats, other wise he wants ignore me. I don't know how to help him. He has been thru a lot and I really want too help him out of this stage in life. If anyone of you has had a ruffly treated dog and have helped them thru there stuff please let me know what you have done. He is a very sweet loving dog. He is also kennal trained. He is a blue heeler pit lab mix male.

Last edited:

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like you have him trained rather well! I guess what you're really asking is how do you make him more living without treats?

I've had a few abused dogs, actually one is laying beside my chair now. One was poisoned, nearly drowned, beaten, etc. She never got super friendly. NEVER raise your hand to a dog that was beaten. They remember it for life and it strikes fear in them, I'm convinced.

Best advice I have is love, play and care. They know who lives them.

I'm not by any stretch a good dog trainer, just have a habit of taking in elderly and abused dogs throughout my life.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have him trained rather well! I guess what you're really asking is how do you make him more living without treats?

I've had a few abused dogs, actually one is laying beside my chair now. One was poisoned, nearly drowned, beaten, etc. She never got super friendly. NEVER raise your hand to a dog that was beaten. They remember it for life and it strikes fear in them, I'm convinced.

Best advice I have is love, play and care. They know who lives them.

I'm not by any stretch a good dog trainer, just have a habit of taking in elderly and abused dogs throughout my life.
Yes trying to make him want to obey without treats. So do you mean not even a small swat when he disobeys?

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Most of the ones I have had cowered at the mere raising of a hand. They've always trained very quickly a firm no. A gentle tap probably won't hurt.

The trick is to teach them to respond to praise and pets. Small Treats and praise/pets until you can wean them to just the praise as a reward.

Advised dogs respond well to praise and love in my experience. The one I have now had to learn the crate wasn't punishment.

Hopefully some experience dog trainers will be on here tomorrow. I'm just an old softy, lol.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are switching his food to a completely raw eat diet and am not sure how much to feed him. He is 64 pounds. He is more stocky than tall and slender.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have y'all researched feeding a completely raw diet? It can be hard to have all the proper nutrition on an only raw meat diet. @Southern by choice
Yes we have. We are going to do a mix of eggs raw chicken and veggies. I am not sure how much meat to put in thou.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes.