We disbudded the 7 day old babies

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wednesday we did Bucky, today we did Dora and Lulu.

I gave each one a shot of Tenus Antitoxin, 2 cc. before the procedure.

Well, that was traumatic, for me and the goats.

We did get the copper ring around each bud. I used the Rhinehart 50 I ordered from Hoegger. We did 4 seconds on each bud.

I'm glad I don't have to do that every day.

DonnaBelle

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:

DonnaBelle
I hate, hate, hate dehorning. :barnie

But i have to keep it in my mind that it could save their lives. Either as a pet or companion animal they will be less of a hazard. And there will be a bit less of a chance of them getting caught in a fence. I've heard horror stories on that.

I call it one of the necessary evils that we have to do.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I need to learn to do it myself. I'm afraid my vet screwed up my 3 kids and now I have to take them back to be fixed. :(

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's the pits, isn't it? I'm waiting for the scabs to fall off mine to see how I did. :fl I don't want to have to do it to them again.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had to take mine to the vet. He used anastesia (know I spelled that wrong) and I had to leave them there all morning:( Now they are dark/ burnt looking 2 weeks later and still raised like a bud, with a circle of growth around the edge. Not happy.

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That is one job i can not do.... I truley respect those of you who can.. I just wimp'd out, and was lucky to find a gal thur our 4H who does it for a very small fee, and did a wonderful job on 5 babies for me.......

Mossy Stone Farm

Pygora's ( for Fiber) Nubains ( for wonderful sweet milk) Bourbon Red Turkeys (for Eggs)

and DUCKS ( for Eggs)

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
Wednesday we did Bucky, today we did Dora and Lulu.

I gave each one a shot of Tenus Antitoxin, 2 cc. before the procedure.

We did get the copper ring around each bud. I used the Rhinehart 50 I ordered from Hoegger. We did 4 seconds on each bud.

DonnaBelle

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I hear ya! I had to disbud my 10 day old doeling yesterday, and I hated having to hurt her. But I took my other doeling to the vet to have it done, and I watched, and believe me, it was truely awful. No matter how much I hate doing it myself, it is so much better than what the vet did.

I'm so glad I won't have to even think about disbudding for another year.

The Egg Bandit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank heavens we only have to do it once a year. I did one this year. Didn't get it right, so the vet had to do it again for me. The other one I put off too long, and the vet got her as well. Now she is growing points, so SHE has to go back. I have a little one left, and she is just starting to have bumps. She was a premie, so I have been putting it off until she is nice and strong. Today she was practicing her gymnastics, so I guess it is time. I think I am just going to skip the stress and take her to the vet right off. The vet is going to show me how he does it and I can compare it to what we do here. I may have a VERY slightly used (one kid!) Rhinehart 30 with 3/8" tip available soon.
I know it has to be done, but I HATE disbudding!:hit