1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Growing horn pain/itching?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

We Got A New Horse!

Discussion in 'Everything Else Horses, Mules & Donkeys' started by Baymule, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Jan 28, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

We got a new horse. I've been looking of and on for 2 years for a dead-head broke super gentle small horse for the grand daughters. Found one.

He is 13 hands, sorrel with 4 stockings and a blaze face. He is skinny and needs some weight put on him, but we've been down this road before and we know what to do. The lady we bought him from bought him out of a kill pen. Her 2 girls could crawl all over him, slide off his butt, slide down his neck, ride him in the round pen or on the trail. He is a follower, slightly barn sour, but I know what to do about that too. He doesn't seem to be fazed by anything. The chickens fluttering around and the sheep didn't make him bat an eyelash. He is friendly, good natured and gentle.

Of course, in the back of my mind is the possibility that a couple of hundred pounds might bring out a more spirited animal or help him discover an ornery streak, but I don't think so. At 13 hands, he is big enough for me to ride him and straighten him out if needed.

The lady we bought him from called him Canyon. He will get a new name. We'll let our 9 year old grand daughter do the honors.

We fed him-just a little. We'll gradually build up the amount he gets. I don't want him to founder switching feeds or get too much at one time. He has been munching on hay, grazing and trotting around. He will lead a soft life here.

new horse.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Jan 28, 2017
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

Congratulations! :love

3. Jan 28, 2017
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

Isn't he a handsome little guy. Congratulations, I hope this works out well for all of you!

4. Jan 28, 2017
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

Congrats! Thinking your grandkids will be excited :)

5. Jan 28, 2017
    NH homesteader

NH homesteader Herd Master

Congrats! Gorgeous!!

6. Jan 28, 2017
    promiseacres

promiseacres True BYH Addict

7. Jan 28, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

Look at all that chrome! He'll be stunning when you get him slicked out and fattened up!

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  8. Jan 28, 2017
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Loving the herd life

LOL...congrats on having a grandchild who wants to ride. My one and only is not at all interested!! Shame, I'd buy a couple to ride if anyone would go with me. But her mom wasn't big on riding, my son was great....until mini-bikes entered the picture. We had some great "ponies" who were fun to have around & be around.

He'll round out & glow in no time! A horse can be a good learning experience for a child -- as I know you will make them do what is right and correct. ATTA GIRL !!

9. Jan 28, 2017
    TAH

TAH Herd Master

Congrats!

I have to ask, how much hay and grain do you think he eats a day?

10. Jan 28, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Today he got a coffee can of feed and a bale of hay. He scarfed down the feed, grazed on the sparse grass and munched hay. We have two other horses, age 27 and 29, that are butterball fat, along with 1 mule. Between the 3 of them a 50 pound sack lasts 2 1/2 days.

CntryBoy777 and TAH like this.