We Got A New Horse!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got a new horse. I've been looking of and on for 2 years for a dead-head broke super gentle small horse for the grand daughters. Found one.

He is 13 hands, sorrel with 4 stockings and a blaze face. He is skinny and needs some weight put on him, but we've been down this road before and we know what to do. The lady we bought him from bought him out of a kill pen. Her 2 girls could crawl all over him, slide off his butt, slide down his neck, ride him in the round pen or on the trail. He is a follower, slightly barn sour, but I know what to do about that too. He doesn't seem to be fazed by anything. The chickens fluttering around and the sheep didn't make him bat an eyelash. He is friendly, good natured and gentle.

Of course, in the back of my mind is the possibility that a couple of hundred pounds might bring out a more spirited animal or help him discover an ornery streak, but I don't think so. At 13 hands, he is big enough for me to ride him and straighten him out if needed.

The lady we bought him from called him Canyon. He will get a new name. We'll let our 9 year old grand daughter do the honors.

We fed him-just a little. We'll gradually build up the amount he gets. I don't want him to founder switching feeds or get too much at one time. He has been munching on hay, grazing and trotting around. He will lead a soft life here.

new horse.JPG

Attachments

• new horse.JPG
    new horse.JPG
    517.2 KB · Views: 150

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Isn't he a handsome little guy. Congratulations, I hope this works out well for all of you!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOL...congrats on having a grandchild who wants to ride. My one and only is not at all interested!! Shame, I'd buy a couple to ride if anyone would go with me. But her mom wasn't big on riding, my son was great....until mini-bikes entered the picture. We had some great "ponies" who were fun to have around & be around.

He'll round out & glow in no time! A horse can be a good learning experience for a child -- as I know you will make them do what is right and correct. ATTA GIRL !!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats!

I have to ask, how much hay and grain do you think he eats a day?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today he got a coffee can of feed and a bale of hay. He scarfed down the feed, grazed on the sparse grass and munched hay. We have two other horses, age 27 and 29, that are butterball fat, along with 1 mule. Between the 3 of them a 50 pound sack lasts 2 1/2 days.

Latest posts