WE HAVE PEEPING!!

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Dear, sweet little Gus Gus is a DADDY! :celebrate I never thought any of Mollie's 3 wee green eggs would hatch, but I braved the 20 degrees and scooped her up to get a quick look. One is PEEPING! :D My mind is gone, my knees are knocking (yes, this would be my first time as a chicken granny LOL). It's SO cold out there but Mollie has at least 1 beebee trying to get out. My bestie is on her way over (to give me a Valium? ROFL) so I gotta get some coffee on. We'll figure it all out! :D My sweeties are about to be parents! **swoon** If you have any comments or suggestions, my brain is whacked right now, so post away. LOL
gusgus.jpg
mollie.jpg

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have CHICK! LOL My friend and I went back in to check just a couple hours later and there he was! Talk about in a hurry. Never heard of such a speedy hatching!

Well, my daughter found my phone--in all the chaos, I left it in my friend's van. :hide So I will take pics first thing in the a.m.! Wait til you see how teeny he is! :D

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm going to call it "him" so it turns out to be a pullet (I'll let you know how THAT goes ROFL) About 20 mins ago, he snagged a piece of scrambled egg off my breakfast plate and ran away with it. :ep We've got him on medicated chick starter, he ate and drank all by himself from right out of the chute. :D I feel blessed, considering the many "My chick won't eat or drink" threads I've seen in the past. There's a fella here in BYH that told someone a while back that they're mimics; with that in mind, I set the bottle cap in front of him and dipped my finger in. Boom, off to the races! Now the little punk's to the point of stealing food off my plate, so Gus' boy is going to survive these first weeks quite well. :D
:celebrate

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mollie is MAD...I lifted her up just a bit, for just a moment, but I don't think her neck feathers will ever lie down again. She dilophosaurus-ed at me. *snicker* She's never pecked but I ain't pushing it. ;)
BTW...eventually, she DID bite me LOLOL Not hard, but she made her irritation known ;)

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love hatching chicks. Had a few mishaps like when one was born with star gazers and another with splay legs. Put down the star gazer but was able to fix the one with the legs. They are so cute. I found that it seems males start getting color in thier wattles at about 3 weeks. Whenever one started getting that it was always a boy.
Once I hatched out some BO and Leghorn crosses. Talk about mean little bleeps! Even as chicks the males would attack my fingers when feeding. They went bye bye. Congrats on your fuzzies!