we just got a mini donkey

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The people I got him from said he was good with goats, and he is. But he seems bored and starts screaming as soon as he hears anyone open a door or window in the house. I'm hoping that's just bc he's new and isn't used to us here, and it will get better. Or not, it doesn't bother me, but my husband is worried about the neighbors. He's pretty loud. Lol

Anyway, I have been around horses before, but not donkeys, and not an intact male. I was told he's 3-4 years old. He's sweet and affectionate, but today he has started biting people's feet. I wear flip flops all the time (I know, I know, not changing. Lol) He was rubbing his head on me, which is what he does (that's not a sign of dominance or anything is it?) Then he put his head down and bit my foot! So I slapped him and told him no, looked him in the eye a minute and when he looked away, I started petting him again and he tried to bite my foot again! I slapped him as he was reaching and he got mad and walked away. Any thoughts? I'm really new to owning this kind of animal and I don't want to mess up, especially since he's so young. I am going to find out what having him gelded entails from our vet, bc I think that is probably a good idea for him. He has a narrow back end, so even to an untrained eye, he's obviously not great breeding material. Our goat vet happens to be a horse vet practice who will do small livestock/hobby farms bc no one else in the area will.

Also, how much weight can a mini donkey carry? He's 36 inches high at the withers and is very stocky and big built, huge neck and thick legs. The woman I bought him from said 150, but I think that is crazy ridiculous. I'm wondering if my 70 lb 10 year old is too big. He's fine with kids being on his back, though he doesn't always want to walk. Lol.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion, slapping is not a good idea. This will make him head shy and afraid, which will only cause more bad behavior. Try a good solid yank on his halter or lead rope if it is on him. A good firm no at the same time will be additional reinforcement. Maybe after a couple of attempts of this and he still is inclined to bite, you walk away from him, not him walk away from you. This will teach him that you control the attention.

Check to see if the area you are petting has any particular soreness that may cause him discomfort. The fact that he goes after feet and not any other body part may indicate that he has been kicked.
70lbs should be easy for him, even mini donkeys are built to carry weight.

Also, LOL, you are crazy for wearing flipflops!