Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They have about 1.5 acres to roam around, so yes they have lots of room. Excuse the crappy cell phone pics, my camera is still buried and I'm not motivated enough to go dig it out of the cold barn.

Attachments

• KIMG0027.JPG
    KIMG0027.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 74

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Update on the crazy train...
I bought a horse. Yes, I intended on going to look, they had a mare there that I was interested in. It's funny how these things work themselves out though, and how sometimes, you don't choose the animal you went for, but get chosen by another.

This guy has 20 mares, and is selling them off because his pasture is looking pretty bad (it's down to dirt where we were at). He's been feeding them but with 20 of them, that gets expensive fast not to mention just grass hay doesn't have enough nutrition for pregnant mares. Not only is it a lot of mares, but he turned a stud out with them, and so most if not all (exception is the molly mule and some real young foals) are in foal, due starting next month.
I went to look at a bay paint mare, and decided I didn't care for her looks as much seeing her in person - she was a lot bigger and heavier built than I wanted, I prefer something shorter because i don't have to struggle to get on. However, this one little chestnut mare came up and just loved all over me and my husband - a real pesty friendly thing. Most of them weren't interested in checking us out, the bay mare I originally went to see, the molly mule, and this little chestnut were the real nosy ones. She's super gentle, let me handle her all over, pick up her feet, and was one of the only ones that is halter broken.
Of course, she is in foal, and had a foal last year. She is only 3, won't be 4 until the spring according to the seller - which I'm apt to believe seeing what baby teeth she still has. Her body condition is not great, you can see her hip bones and her ribs, and from the looks of her, looks like she's due to foal in probably 6-8 weeks - really the only fat part on her is her heavily pregnant belly, which is also probably wormy. I hadn't intended on getting anything that young, unbroken, and especially pregnant. She also has malnutrition hoof cracks, but luckily they aren't deep and with some good trimming and groceries, it'll grow out. Time and groceries will do wonders.

God bless my husband. We were looking and I mentioned what he thought of her...it's hard to overlook skinny to see what's under it. His response was "whichever one you want we'll take". For the whopping price of $400, Lucy is coming home with us. My theory is that she's a 2 for 1 deal since she's going to have a foal (the stud was pretty nice looking) and it just gave this guy $400 to buy feed for the rest of them. He has good intentions, but is old and has more than he can care for, so he was offloading them cheap and mentioned how much he didn't want to send them to auction but it was looking like a reality. The horse auction is a couple of hours from me and from what I read, killer buyers frequent it.

In other news, aside from the charity case, we bought the ugliest stock trailer I have ever seen in my life. It's pretty beat up, doesn't have a floor left (it literally rotted out) and needs some welding, but for $175 we couldn't pass it up. The frame, axles, and tires are all decent, it just needs major body work. Boy is it UGLY though. We went to DMV yesterday to register it (OK doesn't require it but their requirements made it questionable - they allow you to not plate them but you have to put the license plate number off another vehicle you own and with out of state plates, it was a real gray area) and I swear on the registration application I should have marked the color as "tetanus."

We had an adventure with it as well. Went out to pick it up, no problem, got hooked up and down the freeway it went. I came to a stoplight in town and it jolted and jumped the ball, broke the pathetic safety chain and it took me 2 miles to get turned around (median divide was too tall to jump) to get it back on the trailer. Dumped it right on the pavement, but hubby went to lift it and a bunch of guys from the gas station ran over and helped him lift it back on the truck. Found out that it had rust in there and hadn't quite locked on originally. Then on the way home we stopped and DH noticed my truck was leaking fluids. I just replaced the heater core - pop the hood and my truck is pouring motor oil out of the de-gas bottle which has cracked. The seal on the oil cooler gave it up. So, now I have to replace the oil cooler and de-gas bottle, and flush the whole system of motor oil. I thought it was my injectors leaking, as I had a little oil (a few drops) in the antifreeze before, but now it looks like a chocolate milkshake.

I guess I"m thankful that it didn't do that on our trip here, and will leave it at that.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Good lord if it isn't one thing with your truck(s) it's another... Agree... glad it didn't happen during your move. I'm gonna need a stock trailer pretty soon as well, but since I can't weld it needs to be legal and functional. Doubt I'll find one like that for $175... Grats on the new horse! Sounds like quite a deal. Hope the groceries and some wormer helps get her back on the right track before foaling. Sounds like she'll be a real winner down the road.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great news about the horse...s :)
Not so good about the truck tho. :(
....and the trailer sounds interesting...I wouldn't be relying on the images of my mind if there was a pic or 2 to show the horse...and trailer. ;)
Then I'd know if we had the same definition to such adjectives. :)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This trailer is embarrassingly bad. I have a welder and had 4 years of welding in school, so I have that covered. Hubby is a great carpenter so he's going to do the floors and sides again - then primered and painted with a new canvas top and it shouldn't be the ugliest trailer in the world! The wood slats on the side are so rotten that you can poke your fingers through it. There is a piece of ply wood on the floor and it's only there to keep the spare in the back...not a single board left, lol

And our new little mare. This picture doesn't do her justice but you can see her ribs. She was too close up on us to get any good side shots.

Late - my truck is old with almost 200k miles - it has not been maintained the way it should have been by the previous owner to me. Seems like the heater core and the oil cooler have been going out for awhile now that I recognize that it wasn't what I thought it was. Injectors are a common replacement at 200k miles or more, and I figured I was getting some seepage there, not the real issue, which is also very common on the 7.3L Powerstroke. The bright side is they are not expensive repairs, $140 for all the parts, but it is labor intensive to flush the whole coolant system of oil. There's a lot of things it could have been that are way worse and more expensive, and luckily it has never left me on the road. Even like this I was able to limp it home with the trailer another 5 miles without it overheating. It's been a good truck, just the person before me didn't put the maintenance into it that you really need to do with a diesel motor.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations (I guess ;)) Good thing you have nothing else to do so you have time to fix the trailer :lol:

But I have a question based on these ASSUMPTIONS:
You didn't ride the unbroken horse home.
You didn't put it in that 'thing'.
You don't already have a functional trailer or you wouldn't have purchased a 'project'.

So how did you get Lucy home?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks A! If ya think that is the Ugliest, ya need to come to Ms and look around...:gigThe mare does have Promise and in your very capable hands will certainly have a much better Life than she would've had...guess we are on "Foal Watch" now, and can't wait to see it. :) :pop:caf

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So basically on the trailer situation, you're gonna keep the spare & plywood it's sitting on and replace the rest? :lol::gig Just kidding, but seriously... that old trailer will be right at home being towed by that old truck... :lol::gig Kidding again. Yeah, I understand the truck situation... All things considered it's a heckuvalot cheaper to do repairs on what you've got than to pay purchase price, registration costs, sales taxes, insurance prices and all the other costs associated with getting a new(er) one. (I keep telling myself that same thing :confused:) I'd like to find a stock trailer similar in size to that one, but in much better shape. I can do wood working repairs, but don't know welding...

Latest posts