Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your daughter is beautiful!!

Hatching eggs is fun. I had amazing luck with ducks, which I didn't want very many of. They went broody all the time so I stopped incubating those. I thought one of my ducks was eaten once but she reappeared a few weeks later with 12 ducklings!!! Half of them weren't hers.

Now turkeys, which I want to hatch, are so much harder to make happen.

I was kind of thinking about turkeys, but getting eggs to hatch around here doesn't look so good, and they want an arm and a leg on Ebay - if shipping was more reliably gentle I'd go for it.
I have thought about ducks but everything I've read says they are messy, and since I don't have a pond I'd have to make something for them and clean it. For once I'm going to say that is probably more work than I want to invest into it, lol.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much are people asking for them? I've never looked aeound because I got 2 of mine (plus my tom that died this winter) from a friend for free, and got my 2 new ones locally from someone who was selling out.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It depends on the breed and how many eggs - looks like average is $4-5 each, plus shipping at $12-15 flat rated. That's for no refunds or guarantees and if the post office messes them up, you usually have to pay for shipping for the new eggs.
From what I understand, shipping tends to reduce viability too. I've had good luck with these but they weren't shipped very far either (one batch came locally, the Cochins, and the other from Missouri).

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like ya are getting a pretty good handle on the whole incubator thing....at least to me it seems ya have a fairly good rate with it. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been studying incubating on BYH. I found a 108 page thread on the Incuview incubator, on page 60, going to order one Monday!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You mean BYC? There's loads on incubating over there...

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We bought the Hovabator and the auto egg turner as an accessory. We are just now starting to use it so we will see how it goes. We got that several years ago as we were slowly accumulating for the move here.

Last edited:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also have a Hovabator with egg turner and we love it. We had a cheapo incubator before, had so many issues regulating temp. No more! It works great.