Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Uh well, here's the thing about the baby - I can't not check on her, since she insists that she sleeps in our bed. I have tried to get her to sleep in her bassinet, but I've also found that if I want to get some quality rest, letting her sleep on me is the way to go. We both sleep better that way.

I have a Little Giant or whatever they're called incubator. Nothing special, just the styrofoam one. The egg turner and rails are the key to success I believe, and a good thermometer/hygrometer. I got our digital therm/hygro off Amazon for like $8. The heating element can be a pain in the butt to get settled in, but once it's on point, it's good to go. I set it up the day before to adjust it where I want it so once it sits at 101F (it's still air) for 8+ hours I know it's not going to act crazy anymore.
I'm putting a fan in it for my next batch, I have a CPU fan and some old cords.

I have 21 chicks out of 31 eggs that candled good. Two never made it out, they zipped but died, not sure why
017.JPG
018.JPG
020.JPG
022.JPG
. I had 2 die the first night. I did something bad, I helped 2 that had shrink wrapped up in their shells, but both of them are healthy and doing well.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's not bad if it worked... justsayin. You successfully replaced the other 2 that died with ones that otherwise would have been lost as well. Nicely done!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, not bad for shipped eggs either. From what I've read it really can reduce the hatch rate. I hate that you get losses after they've hatched, it's sad to see they got that far and then just went.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
012.JPG
Well, we've officially given up on making the abominable trailer into anything large stock can ride in. Started to dig into it and found a crack in the frame, and it's really not worth sending out to weld, I don't trust myself to weld up something that critical.
But wait, there's more - since I have it and have already put the work in to rip out the rotten wood, we've decided to go a new route with it - it will be the Chicken Coop 5000! Yes, for just 5 easy payments of $0, you too can have a completely mobile sturdy chicken coop. It comes complete with doors already and a steel frame, and hey, chickens don't weight enough to break that crack in the frame. Don't like where it is, hook it to the truck and move it!
Eh, it is what it is. We can still make it serve a purpose, and it's not worth much in scrap! Some wire, wood, and a coat of paint and it has a new use.

We did pick up a decent critter hauler today though! Has a spare, good floor, and all the lights even work, lol!