Changing goals and speed

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
When ya park it roll the tires up on a board, like a 2"x6", it will make it much easier to move later on...and give you a chance to roll away. It will keep the tires from being in holes over time with the weather. Your animals will be "Stylin" riding in that cadillac of a trlr.
I thought about ya earlier, I stopped by a guy's house and he had to show me some of his property and garden. He has a couple of horses...I only saw 1...it was a mare and really looked in bad shape....it was really sad, and I don't know enough to assist the elderly man with her, and certainly am cautious of taking charge on another's animal while on their property. I thought if AClark was here it would be better cause you'd know what to look for and things to suggest. I just left and can't get it out of my mind...sad. He is 71 and his wife is getting over a broken hip, so there has been a lot taking place over there. Anyway, just had to tell ya...I didn't get any pics either.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The new gooseneck is not my chicken tractor, the ancient 16 ft stock trailer will be Bruce. The truck hauling it is my good ole breaks down frequently F350 - still a good truck.

I picked up that white gooseneck for $1200, and it's in really good shape. I parked the drop down on a cinder block, because I already figured one good rain and I'd be digging it out. There's a gooseneck flatbed behind it parked the same way, lol - I'm going to be selling that flatbed though.

Cntry - best bet is a tube of Ivermectin dewormer and make sure she's getting enough to eat. Might need a vet out to assess her teeth, especially if she's old. She may not have front teeth to graze anymore and would need softened food. Maybe see if you can pet her and look in her mouth, that's the big reasons horses lose weight.
Another thought, if she's on pasture, she may be starving with plenty to eat. I knew some folks in the Tupelo area and their grass looked great, tall and green,but it basically had zero nutritional value, and their horses looked pretty rough.
Parasites are the number one thing in the south though. Horses need to be on a deworming schedule, about every 8 weeks. Bot flies lay eggs on their legs, the horse ingests them and then wreck havoc.
Ivermec is cheap though, the paste tubes are maybe $5. I'm learning some new stuff being here, as I kept horses in Arizona and we didn't have half the problems they do here.

Last edited:

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chicken update as well - Atwoods had a buy 1 get one sale on chicks, and uhm, I brought home 12. We're moving everybody around after work today, my day ended up being nuts and it just isn't happening until DH gets home and can give me a hand.
I picked up a white leghorn cockerel - pretty sure it's a boy anyway. DH already said we're keeping him and naming him Foghorn.
I have a frizzle feathered chick as well, it's pretty cool! I'm not sure what else I picked up, I did a half and half batch, so some are black chicks and some are cream or white - straight run so who knows, I probably got all roosters!

And, as most of you probably think I'm nuts already, I picked up a dozen of the Texas A&M white coturnix quail eggs to hatch out. I ended up about 50/50 males and females with the other coturnix quail and separated out the males I don't need. They are chilling in the barn in rabbit cages until I finish building their permanent home; they'll be 6 weeks on Saturday and look like full grown birds. I kind of like the males, their little crowing is cute.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 46

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good deal on the trailer! You sure have a knack for finding good deals! I like the Chicken Condominium idea and I bet they will like it too.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do, just dumb luck I think. I got on craigslist to skim, saw that and jumped on it. I'll be wiring lights on the flatbed this weekend and putting it up for sale. The floor on it is shot, but has new tires and all so I should probably pay for my new horse trailer with the sale of it. I've destroyed so much trailer wiring that I've gotten really good at wiring it.

New horse trailers brake wires are cut, I'm going to look at that because it's heavy and definitely would benefit from having functional trailer brakes. I'm pretty glad I decided not to cut the goosneck hitch out of the bed of my truck. The previous owner welded the ball into the frame of the truck, and I hated it because it meant I couldn't sit anything flat in the bed. I was going to have it removed, but it was nearly impossible where it's located - and I guess it goes with "when life gives you lemons" situation. When life gives you a gooseneck hitch you can't get rid of, buy a gooseneck trailer!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
On a side note, DH surprised me by coming home early for lunch today. I wondered why he was home at 11. He didn't say anything, just gave me the receipt from Atwoods for yesterday to put it in my expense sheet and file it and there were 2 receipts. I looked at the first one, which was for the new "brooder" (aka water tank) and then looked at the second. My trip yesterday got cut short by having to run to my kids school, so I didn't have time to pick up the water tank/brooder and he picked it up after work for me.

DH has always nixed the idea of geese to go in with the chickens, because he and his cousin were picking on his uncles geese when they were kids and the geese retaliated hours later - which personally I think is funny and that those two had it coming!

Well, the mystery receipt was for 2 adorable goslins, they are straight run, but if I am not mistaken, it looks like DH nabbed a male and female. One he got was because it was the biggest and "looked cool", and the other he let the store clerk pick out. I mentioned when I picked up the chicks yesterday that if they had geese I would have brought two home, and acted surprised like I didn't know I got goslins instead of chicks - but they were out. Apparently he called them this morning to ask when they would get them in and they had gotten there this morning.

DH got big brownie points this morning. So, for his thoughtful gesture, I'm about to head out and cut up the hog we have aging in the refrigerator. One of his work buddies shot it and didn't need it, so gave it to him (it's gutted and skinned) and it's been sitting in the fridge since Sunday. So, as soon as I get these knives sharpened up, I'll hoist it in the barn and go to town on it, and I should finish it before he gets home from work. :) Hopefully I can hoist it up by myself, but if not, I'll tie the rope to my truck and pull it up that way.
I may still be vacuum sealing it when he gets home, but it'll be all cut up at least.
IMG_0181.JPG

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have an entire bag of parts for sausage, and casing in the fridge. That's the plan for today. I managed to get it all cut up, vacuum sealed, and in the deep freezer before DH got home. I wanted it partially frozen to grind up as it makes it a bit easier. I have an electric grinder but I don't like it very much, it clogs up too easily, so I will hand grind it twice, and then use the electric to stuff the sausage because it has the sausage attachment.
My 10 year old son took it all out to the deep freezer for me. He's a strong little dude.
002.JPG