Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's true, she was headed for Camp Kenmore fairly soon. I didn't even know she was going to have them, I put the box in just in case because she hasn't had a litter in several months. Glad I did. They are nice and fat and all cozy in a huge bed of fur.

Our weekend was pretty busy. I put a tune up on DH's gelding. He got where he just wouldn't move at all, just stood there all stubborn. He's a smart guy, and I feel like I worked harder than he did, but I did get him up and moving along nicely after a bratty hissy fit of kicking up his hind end, a half rear and attempt to run with me, and him turning around and biting me on the leg. He's spoiled. He kicked up his back end because I got on him with a crop and he wasn't a fan of a few taps to his butt. He went along fine after he figured he has to move forward or I'm going to sit and irritate him, and he can't dump me that easily.

I mean really I should be working with mine, but I didn't get around to it, I was tired after having to nag DH's horse along for an hour. Little does he know but he's about to start getting more exercise for his lazy butt.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Birds, well I had another batch of the TX A&M quail hatch out over the weekend - which I'm surprised because their packaging left a lot to be desired and had a bunch of cracked eggs, but 7/12 hatched so not too shabby. Chickens are doing good in their new outside digs. We picked up a smaller coop for a temporary outdoor home until we finish the Chickenmobile 5000. I couldn't cope with them in the house anymore, the white leghorn rooster can fly very well, and was making a habit of flying from the floor and landing on the top of my head at my desk...just to hang out. I'm none too keen on having a chicken on my head.
My adult coturnix haven't laid any eggs yet, I'm not sure why, 1 rooster with 8 hens, they are 10 weeks old now? I still have 1 gosling, the other passed away over the weekend. I'm not sure what was wrong, but it was a lot smaller than the other one and they were the same age. Actually the other one started out smaller than the one that died. Fed them the same and everything so no clue.
Once the big coop is finished, the quail are getting the smaller coop, and their cage is going to be the rabbit grow out pen.
Goats are doing well, we had a circus with catching all 3 of them to put flea collars on the other day - trying to keep the ticks off. I dewormed them all once they were caught too.

I've been having a hard time keeping up with the pictures, I think I've hit my peak with being busy. I'm still working at the garden, it's hard as a rock, but we are expecting rain tomorrow night through Thursday so that should help. I have a bunch of raspberry bare root plants to get in the ground and blueberry bushes coming in the mail. That and with fighting with the mower and taking DH's horse to the vet this morning I've been busy as all can be. Good thing Trav was good at the vet (had to pull a coggins so he can be hauled).

The whole truck(s) issues this month have put us a bit behind in getting things done, my brakes ran $400, and I'm out $1350 on DH's truck, it had to have a new ignition module and key and that ran $850, plus the $500 deductible I haven't gotten back yet. They really get you on that ignition (Dodge) because you can't program those at home and you're left at the mercy of the stealership. However, DH's truck is finished, runs and looks good, and is back home and the rental turned in. I kind of miss the rental, until I figured out what my trade in was on my truck and how much payments on a new vehicle would be...that made the decision of "I really don't need a new truck" really easy.

I still need to go unhook the trailer and run to the feed store to pick up bird food, I planned on it earlier but the dealership called while we were at the vet so we just dumped my truck off, unloaded the horse, and left in the rental to go get the other one. I pretty much killed an entire morning between the vet and dealership. I might as well pick up horse pellets and stuff while I'm there and save myself a trip later in the week.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad as the other folks you didn't have a wreck with the bad rear brakes! $400 for brakes is cheaper than your $500 deductible and you got it back a lot faster than if it had wrecked ;)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My adult coturnix haven't laid any eggs yet, I'm not sure why, 1 rooster with 8 hens, they are 10 weeks old now

Couple of things I'm wondering about. I didn't raise the T A&M birds, just the 'jumbo' coturnix. Not that I'm an expert at all, but I raised them for quite a few years, and am looking to get back into them.

How much protein is in their feed? When I was raising them I always put them on a Game Bird Starter with (I think) 28% protein. They always started laying right at 6 weeks.

Do your birds get plenty of light? Mine always did better if they got some natural light.

That's all I can think of. Hope they start getting busy for you!

Last edited:

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm using game bird starter too, it's 28% protein - http://www.atwoods.com/poultry-feed/ranch-pro-gamebird-starter-grower-40lb.htm They are outside so they get sunlight all day, their run has a roof so it gets shaded in the late afternoon but that's about it. I just added in some egg shells thinking maybe not enough calcium? These are the jumbo brown coturnix, the T A&M's just hatched. I have 2 other roosters but I moved them out because 3 roosters seemed excessive. I guess they'll lay when they feel like it!

Bruce, at 17 years old, any kind of big wreck pretty much means a total on that truck, so yes I'm very grateful it didn't seize up and wreck. At least now I know that all my brakes are good, since we did the front ones and the back ones are completely serviced and rear diff checked too. It stops a LOT better with the trailer now for sure.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I've been hiding out a bit since the BYC'ers are here. Nothing against them, but the feed is overwhelmed and the limited time I can spend on here reading I've been spending trying to sift through the plethora of new posts. They're about a vivid bunch!

Updates, my TX A&M quail are doing well. I finally got the garden dug up enough after it rained to row it out, I'm about to go out and finish the next 7 rows of planting and I'm done! My 20 chickens after some possum casualties are doing well and getting huge! Our cattle dog got all over the possum and it hasn't come back, but when/if it does, I'm going to probably have to shoot it. I like Opossums, they're pretty cool, but it can't be hanging out to have chickens for dinner.
Goats are doing goat things, and driving me nuts. I still haven't gotten pictures of the new rabbit kits, we lost 1 out of 4. Either it passed and momma threw it out of the box, or it was still nursing when she jumped out and got too cold, I'm not sure which. Not particularly thrilled that she only had 4, but it's something versus nothing, so we'll take it.

My 10 year old son got his braces off yesterday, he's a really happy dude. He ended up helping me with the shopping yesterday so to the helpful child goes the spoils. He got a new Classic rope and a pair of jeans. Now i have to pick up a crappy bale of cheap hay to stick the roping dummy on for him to start learning. That's not much work, the real work is going to be finding out whether the kids horse has been roped off of, and if not, teaching her to not panic over a rope swinging over her head. I doubt she has, her training is very basic - she doesn't neck rein or back up, but those are easily taught on a horse that doesn't blow up and it's do-able. "Anyone can ride this horse" turned out to be "this horse is super gentle and broken, just isn't finished." I don't mind finishing horses, I just don't like backing them for the first time, that always makes me nervous because sometimes those dead gentle horses turn out to be rank, and I don't bounce so good anymore!

DH's horse got the "spoilt" worked out of him last weekend, and even though he bit the crap out of my leg, he learned that his BS doesn't fly with me and worked really well. He got a present at the tack shop too, called a riding crop. I can only do so much with my reins since I much prefer roping reins and they just aren't long enough to swat a horse with. I'm currently working out an exercise program for these guys, since DH's horse is obese and I imagine some of the lazy is because he wears out fast. I know he was worn out after I rode him for an hour, he really appreciated the nice cool bath afterward.

My horse has really come around. She's now super easy to walk right up to and pet, whereas it took me a month to touch her after bringing her home and turning her out. We're still working on touching her face, but I can halter her without being smacked in my face now, so that's nice.

Seems like all the work is paying off, I'm finding a bit more time during the day now that most of the major things have been finished. We still have to finish the big chicken coop, and the planting on the garden but I'll get that done today. Planting is the easy part, it's all the digging, rowing, and weeding that I hate to do. I also need to clean out the critter shelter, but that means I need to find a place for all the rocks in the wheel barrow! Lol. Always something to do. :) I plan on taking it easy this weekend and just enjoying the horses, maybe go fishing, and maybe only a few chores. My knee has been bothering me a lot lately, and it doesn't help that I now have a horse mouth sized bruise on it.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like some really good progress with the horses, hope your bruise heals up fast.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like ya are knocking the "Rust" out of the pipe pretty good there with all the horse work....I'm not laughing at ya, but ya talking about the horse biting ya reminds me about the "Horse biting the Apple" joke that we grew up with. The roping practice for the 10 yr old is a good way to occupy time and keep him busy.
I haven't been as active here either, but I have been busy around here....I just have stayed on the journal pages mainly. I think others have been pretty busy too, with gardens and such.....:)
I really don't like possums and will grab the 22 quickly...they get under the trlr and drive me crazy. Even had 1 get in the AC ducts....I finally caught it coming out and he never returned.