Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I feel about possums. They are cute in a way and have some benefits. It hasn't come back and as long as it doesn't come back and mess with anything, I'm not going to seek it out.
We are getting a new dog today. I've really been on the fence about it, since we made the decision to put my GSD down back in January. I was at the feed store yesterday and someones teenaged boy asked a question, his dad didn't know so I told him, and then his dad goes "oh, you have a farm?" so I said "yeah a small one" and the dad says "want a dog?" - of course I had to ask what kind. He's the animal control officer from the next county over and has two Black mouth cur pups that are out of time at the shelter. Said to come by today and I could have one or both for free.
Well, I've never even heard of a black mouth cur dog, but after doing some reading last night, looks like she'll be a good addition.

Fred, I'm not sure that I've ever heard that joke, care to share?

I did get the garden finished, planting it went really fast once it was all rowed, etc.

And just for fun, some pics of fat shiny horses, and goats stealing their food. The buckskin mare is making an ugly face at a goat in the picture, she didn't feel much like sharing.

014.JPG
025.JPG
027.JPG

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Man those horses sure look Great!!....what a turn around and it sure speaks volumes of your hard work and knowledge.
What ya do, is ask an unsuspecting person if they know how a horse bites an apple?....if they say no, then ya take your strongest hand and grab the knee just above the joint....there are a couple of nerves there and squeeze....the older folks used to get kids with it when I was growing up. It will make anyone jump and the face made is "Shock and Awe"....:)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh wow, ok, I just heard it differently then. My first ex husband used to give horse bites on the leg, man those things smart!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah he did ride a buckskin, that never occurred to me.
Thanks, I do my best to keep my critters in good shape. I see a lot of horses around these parts that look like a good feeding would do them wonders. I can't imagine how folks ride horses that look that thin. Granted, our gelding is obese, but we are working on slimming him down.

I went to ENT today since I've had a sore throat for the better part of a month, and a non-strep throat infection. I'm waiting for scheduling to call me to remove my adenoids and tonsils both. A little old for that kind of thing, but better late than never. Maybe it'll stop the constant ear and throat infections I get.

Anyone else see that tornado hit Elk City OK? That's a ways from us, we got a really big storm last night. It woke me up maybe 1-2 AM coming down so hard I thought it might break our bedroom window. It was all over by 3:30 AM when I got up to let the puppy out though. We are expecting more weather tonight going into tomorrow.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like ya have some pretty rough weather in the neighborhood for a couple of days there, be Alert and stay Safe out that way.
I didn't mention anything about your dog, to be honest I've never heard of that breed, but looked it up. Really nice looking dogs and sound like they are a good one to have, I talked to a guy that raises them and he said they don't tolerate cats and small animals, unless they are raised with them. Hope it fits in well, and they like to dig Big holes. I know ya can handle your animals tho and can't wait to see some pics.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like OK is getting pounded right now with severe weather, but it looks to all be east of you at this point. This morning they had TORCONs of 8 (80% chance of tornadoes) through most of central OK. They'd originally said we might have heavy weather here today, then moved it to tonight, but now I guess it's still too far west and will be here tomorrow. The dry line/front has slowed its eastward progress. Sorry you're not feeling well. How is your newest child doing? You haven't mentioned her in quite a while.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Most of the real bad weather missed us, we just got the good part, which was the rain. It's still raining today and is supposed to all day. My garden is going to go nuts with all this nice soaking rain, it's not coming down hard enough to flood, even though we're on a flood watch.

The baby is getting big and doing well. She chatters quite a bit now and can roll over and squirm around on the floor. Not bad for almost 4 months old. The rest of the kids are home for summer vacation, it's day 1 and rainy so they are all hyper and driving me nuts. Not a great combo when you're sick and run down.
001.JPG

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awww!....she is such a Sweetie.
Ya need to take care of yourself, hope ya get to feeling better. Glad the bad stuff passed ya by....and your summer Help has arrived....:)