Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry about this pothole in your life @AClark. But it is good it was found ASAP not in a few months. As you said, they could lay it all on you then. Hope the right truck comes by soon!

After reading up on it, I actually think "I" broke it. It didn't leak a drop at the dealership, nothing at all. However, they are in the city (OKC) and had nowhere to test the 4WD. When I got home, I shifted it into the 4WD in my driveway, since it's all dirt and will slip.
It had a new transfer case on it, so I'm going to assume, since that model is prone to this, the driveshaft wasn't in quite right or was wobbly, that's what broke the transmission. The entire bell housing was cracked.
So, that makes sense on why it didn't leak a drop, ran fine all the way home, and then crapped out in my driveway. Not like I abused it, I simply shifted it into 4 high, creeped it up the driveway (all dirt and sand) to make sure it was functional, shifted out, and parked it. That or it shifted in incorrectly, it's a "4 on the fly" style with the dial on the dash. Our other 09 has the same thing, so I know I used it right because I've used the other one a dozen times without any issues.

Maybe have something to look at down near Dallas, if this dude at the stealership will get back to me on it, he said he'd call me back with the price because they had just got it in, I called this morning and got his voicemail. Older, a 06 3500 dually with the 5.9L, 4x4 also. I'm not too worried it's going to fly off the lot though, it's a stick shift. Every stick shift I've seen looking has sat forever and the prices are lower. Doesn't matter to me if it's a stick or automatic though. I'd prefer the stick.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with ya, especially if ya are pulling something...I'd rather be in control of the shift points that have it shift on its own....given terrain and conditions considerations....instead of RPMs dictating when it changes.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Exactly, a stick sucks in traffic, but I don't deal with traffic that much. They are beautiful for pulling. I learned to drive on a stick, then used to haul with my parents 93 F250 which is a stick shift. It's easier to negotiate hills and you don't have to ride the brakes down them since you can downshift and force it to slow down. I prefer them by far, just it's hard to find them anymore.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to admit that I am spoiled to automatic trannys. I can drive a manual shift, that's all I had for many, many years. But I don't want to anymore.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
All I drove when younger was manual trannys... My first vehicle (hand me down from parents) had 3 on the column. After that one, my first vehicle purchase and all subsequent have been 4x4 pickup trucks. Wasn't happy when I was "forced" to switch to automatic, but there were no standards available. Wouldn't mind going back to one again, especially on a work truck that would primarily be used for towing. Indeed, they are difficult to find anymore.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I found a new truck. New is subjective, obviously, but new to me, and like new condition. It's a 2003 Dodge 3500 (single rear wheel) with the 5.9L cummins. Nice truck, 92,000 original miles (not 192k lol) It is an automatic, the stick shift I was going to look at was a short bed, I was bummed when they sent me pictures because it was about everything I wanted except the color, and then when I saw it was a short bed, big bummer.

We drove to Amarillo to get the new one, over 200 miles. So, my first real test drive on it was the 200+ mile trip home. It did great, no leaks, didn't use any oil. I'm not used to that, my F350 I had to keep a gallon of oil with me and keep it topped up because it leaked. This one was full on the stick when we got home. This one had all the maintenance records in the carfax since they had it serviced at the dealership, it's also had all the common failure parts replaced.

There's no block heater, so the real test will be a cold winter morning. Maybe it does have one and I haven't found the cord yet, but it may start without it, which would be thrilling to me to not have to plug the truck in every night. I'm a bit baffled with the 5.9L cummins, since I'm used to the 7.3L Powerstroke, it's night and day difference. Nice thing is, no stupid glow plugs, those things are a royal pain to change out and I won't miss that at all.

So all in all, it worked out. I got something nice for a good price. The biggest downside was the tires were really old and dry rotted so I had to replace them right off, and I have to find someone to put a gooseneck ball in for me since it had a 5th wheel rail system that someone literally cut the bolts out of.

Back to regularly scheduled farm stuff. We are working on our big chicken coop, converting the horse shed since they never use it. It's slow going since I'm not fully healed up from the tonsil surgery. My ENT told me to take it easy since I wasn't healed up, but that it was looking ok. That is a beast, you see kids recover in a week, but it's been 3 weeks for me and I'm still in fairly rough shape. I've lost 20 lbs from not wanting to eat since it's uncomfortable, not that I couldn't stand to lose it or anything but it's been a big drop.

We're still working on the mower. The stupid thing caught fire (dead short I'm assuming) so I replaced the whole wiring harness, but it still won't start from the key. I told DH I had enough of it's BS and wasn't going to "mess" with it anymore - language redacted for family friendly forum lol. I think it's the seat switch, I'm going to attempt to bypass it and if it will start, I'll replace that. I don't really want to take it to a mechanic since we hemorrhaged money last month over the truck/trailer incident.

My 9 year old daughter and 14 year old son got into an argument yesterday. She threw a shoe at him, he went to throw it back and she ran and hit her head on a bookcase, or so I'm told because I was outside when it happened. It split her forehead open right between her eyes so we spent 4 hours at the ER for them to stitch her head up. She looked awful, blood all in her hair and all over her shirt, hands, face. So she has 2 stitches in her forehead and was not thrilled I had to wash her waist length hair in the kitchen sink since she can't get the stitches wet.

I'm so glad school is starting back at the end of the month, they need the mental stimulation big time.
023.JPG

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice looking truck!.....the kids here started this past Fri and sure thankful that a couple of stitches was all that happened....oh the joys of raising children. Glad to hear the tonsil surgery is healing up, and ya sure don't want to over do things for sure. There's no need for a bldg to go to waste, if the horses don't use it, the chickens sure will. Maybe things will remain calm for a little bit for ya......no need for so much Excitement all the time.....:)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm definitely not one for excitement. I've had enough in the last month to last me for the rest of the year. I thought I was going to have some more with the truck, because when I picked it up the tires were from 2012 and the dry rot was visible, like white patches on the side walls, and they were bald. Dealership cut me a break on the tires but wouldn't replace them, so I drove home on those rotten suckers. They had changed out one they said was bad and put the spare on for me. Funny, it was the original spare from 2003 and was better than the rest. By God's grace I made it home on those without any problems, though I drove slow and didn't have any kids in the truck with me since I was anticipating it. I called my insurance before I left to make sure I had roadside too.

I don't know why the horses won't use the shelter, they'd rather stand out in the rain or get under the trees. I figure in the winter they might miss it, but if it's that cold, I'll blanket them. The chickens already pick around in it and hang out in there, so I will just finish the last side and put a door and wire on and be done. I free range them in my yard now and they are happy as clams to peck around and eat all the bugs under the porch, and it makes me happy to not have a million bugs too.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate riding on "May Pops", so don't blame ya a bit. Well, ya have been having excitement pop up since a few mnths before the move, so yeh.....it is time for some settling down and getting a bit bored with a "Routine".....tho, you'll do something to change it up, I'm afraid.....:)