Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
As long as nobody claims her, she's going to be a great fit. She is really mellow, slept right next to my bed last night, and the only time she moved was to go lay by the baby's crib. She really likes the kids, and the baby squeals and smiles just looking at her, lol. I'm trying to not get attached in case someone calls, but my friend is fairly convinced someone dumped her. Kind of sad that I hope someone did dump her in my driveway, Merry Christmas to me!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Swung the dog down to the vet, no microchip. Vet gave me a sample of some tick/flea killer since she had ticks. I gave her a bath in flea/tick shampoo too. I found a couple of wounds on her, puncture marks, that I couldn't see for all the fur. She did not enjoy the bath at all.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like she was well took care of....so, she is much better off and you are too....a Win-Win...:thumbsup
If it is that kind of situation she was in, I sure wouldn't be looking too hard for an owner.....cause I'd be the owner....:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The rub mark on her snout appears to be... well... a rub mark. Like she stuck her nose through a fence and it rubbed the hair off. I've seen that sort of thing before and one of my goats has one on the back of her neck. She REALLY pushes hard against the fence when her head is through it. What a sweet looking little girl. :love As you were going along I was hoping you were going to ask if anyone wanted her if she wasn't claimed... I had my arm up waving my hand saying "ME... ME!" the whole time I was reading :lol:

If she is pyr and maybe crossed with toli, if she's anything like mine, he HATES to be wet. I haven't even considered trying to give him a bath as just washing mud off him was like a 3 ring circus. If someone had her as an LGD and she wasn't working out, it's quite possible that she was dumped, but that doesn't explain to me why she had a bandana on... If someone were going to dump and animal I'd think they'd remove all items first. Like someone else said, if she were mine and gone missing, I'd be frantic!

Hope you get to keep her! Great luck on your part!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kinda short haired for a GP isn't she? Might be part GP?

Good luck with your new dog.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She's some kind of mix for sure. She looks pretty nice after a bath. The vet said she looks like an Anatolian shepherd. I don't know much about LGD breeds, I never had any interest in them. She is a giant though. She likes our cattle dogs bed (he doesn't , he crawls under the bed) but she's almost too big to fit in it.

Bath time was a 3 ring circus. I was drenched. I had to get in the bath tub with her to keep her in, and she was pretty water proof so it was hard to get her actually wet and lathered. Unfortunately, that was the fastest way to get all the ticks and mud off her. I didn't see the ticks before because they were in creases in the ears and under her armpits. The vet said she was covered but most of those were little sand burs and not actually ticks.

I wonder about the bandanna too, though it's pretty old and grimy. I just took it off when I bathed her yesterday. She has definitely never been leashed before, she tripped out about that, but learned really fast. She also does not enjoy riding in the truck very much. I had to pick her up to get her in and she was backing away fast. Not bad once she was in the truck, but kept trying to get on the front seat. That's a no-go from me, they can sit or lay on the back floorboard or seat, but not in the front. I was not thrilled to have dog hair all over my new truck either lol.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
By all means, socialize this dog. Leash train her. Take her to TSC and let her pick out dog treats. She NEEDS to know how to ride in the truck, or getting her to the vet will always be a fight. She will only grow bigger, so train her now, you will be glad that you did. Load her in the truck, give her a treat, drive her around, stop, give her a treat, drive a little more, go home and give another treat. We have 2 Great Pyrenees, both will load, walk on a leash, and can be taken to the vet. The male is better socialized, and loves to go to TSC.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dogs are not treat motivated... :(

However, Cowboy is Gracie motivated, lol. If she gets in the truck he's more inclined to do so. If he gets out of the fence, I turn Gracie out to go 'fetch' him -- works every time, lol!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Mel wasn't all that gung ho about the truck either at first. Mostly because he was unfamiliar and didn't know what I wanted. After taking him on cross country drives and out and about he now has no issues at all and will jump right up into the back seat. He also is not allowed in the front seat and doesn't even try. Initially I wouldn't put the rear windows down at all either for fear he would bust one out either leaning against it or pushing trying to get out. But now he has learned that he can stick his head out but that he can't try to get out. He doesn't push against them at all anymore.