We think our girl may be pregnant, thoughts?

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We were told when we got her May 26th she may be pregnant. The man we got her from had her for only two weeks, it was just too much for him to milk her and couldn't do it daily. She looked like she "could" be when we got her, but now she's getting bigger. Hubby isn't worried about how far along she is, but he would like to confirm that she is, if she is. I'll likely be able to afford the rest next month but in the meantime I thought I would share pics here.

May 26th/27th
Screenshot_2016-07-13-19-27-07-1.png

Today...
Screenshot_2016-07-13-19-29-06-1.png

I wish I had gotten more detailed pics when we first got her.

Reactions: TAH

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am lucky to have a great vet that will do ultrasounds on goats for the cost of one office visit...$35.00 . She can tell after one month if they are bred or not. She does a mobile clinic for our dairy club in Jan. which is really convenient. In Nov. when we do our Goat Ed. Day there is a vet from UC Davis that comes and does ultrasounds too. He has really fancy equipment and can tell you how many kids the doe is carrying. He isn't always right, but not always wrong either.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only thing you will be concerned with is drying her off so she has colostrum for the kids. Saanens like to keep milking! One of mine could milk for over a year without freshening. She doesn't like to dry!! One daughter looks to be heading same way. Nice if you don't have a buck as it saves time/money for breeding.

She doesn't give as much, obviously, as when in full milk but 1/2 gal + a day. In full milk she gives over gal a day.

I'd have her checked to know what to do with milking.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only thing you will be concerned with is drying her off so she has colostrum for the kids.

The colostrum dons't come in till the last 24 ours of kidding.

Yeah, no worries... no need to worry about drying off.

We milked our doe the night before she kidded. Long story- didn't think the breeding took and she is "girthy and stout" ... seriously never would have guessed.... she surprised us next am with twins.
Talk about shock!
They got what they needed! She had plenty. She will milk forever... she is a nightmare to try to dry off.

Drying off a doe is really to help them grow the kid and keep in good condition so as to not tax the body... most people dry off 2 months before kidding. Not all does dry off though.

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We milk her once a day currently, which has increased her milk. The guy we got her from milked her sporadically. He didn't have any bucks with her but that doesn't mean she wasn't exposed before he got her, he only had her two weeks.

I thought they "had" to be dried off for the colostrum to come in when they kid. Do they still produce colostrum when they kid if they've been in milk??