1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Threads - First Time Lambing Question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Weak 3 Month Lamb

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Sheep' started by phils, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Apr 11, 2018
    phils

phils Exploring the pasture

Hey people. This lamb was found as a newborn one morning severely hypothermic and barely alive. We managed to revive it and we've been bottle feeding it for the last 3 months. From the beginning it had a hard time walking but it's always been especially week in the hindquarters since then. Recently I've been noticing that it doesn't take much more than a bump to knock him flat, although he manages to get around quite well otherwise. Any thoughts on what could be causing this weakness? He's small...around 30 lbs. I wormed him with Ivermecton recently and he's had hay, minerals, and concentrated pellets all his life like the other lambs. Thanks!

2. Apr 11, 2018
    mysunwolf

mysunwolf True BYH Addict

I would do a fecal to see if there are any other worms, and especially check his eyelids for anemia due to cocci or barber pole. Give him a shot of BoSe if you are in a selenium deficient area, and give him Vit B complex. Does he have free access to the pellets?

phils and promiseacres like this.
  3. Apr 12, 2018
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

X2 definitely get a fecal done asap.

phils likes this.