Weak 3 Month Lamb

phils

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey people. This lamb was found as a newborn one morning severely hypothermic and barely alive. We managed to revive it and we've been bottle feeding it for the last 3 months. From the beginning it had a hard time walking but it's always been especially week in the hindquarters since then. Recently I've been noticing that it doesn't take much more than a bump to knock him flat, although he manages to get around quite well otherwise. Any thoughts on what could be causing this weakness? He's small...around 30 lbs. I wormed him with Ivermecton recently and he's had hay, minerals, and concentrated pellets all his life like the other lambs. Thanks!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would do a fecal to see if there are any other worms, and especially check his eyelids for anemia due to cocci or barber pole. Give him a shot of BoSe if you are in a selenium deficient area, and give him Vit B complex. Does he have free access to the pellets?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you take a pic of him?

He may have had a spinal injury at birth....mum rolling on him etc. If that's the case he'll likely eventually fully recover. Anything that adversely affects his health e.g worms, fluke etc will exaggerate the weakness, so entirely agree to look for worms.

At 3 months he shouldn't be needing the bottle any longer.

Good Luck.