Weak calf

Micayla

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello, my family raises a small herd of black angus cattle. We had our first calf of the year born on 3/9 around 10 pm. My dad watched it be born, watched it get up and eat. it’s an experienced cow, sp he went into the house for the night. We live in MN and it wasn’t too cold so we were not too worried. They have shelter and straw available. The following morning he went out around 7am to check on the calf and it was all but dead. He was flat on his side, lethargic and barely breathing. My dad brought him into our heated shop, tubed him colostrum, put him in blankets, a heating pad, and under heat lamps. He later tubed him electrolytes. Later in the day, he started to perk up and hold his head up. He attempted to get up but wasn’t able to. He won’t take a bottle. He was tubed colostrum again in the evening and seemed to be declining quickly. We thought he would be dead by morning. Then this morning he had moved himself around the barn but did not appear to get up. He was tube fed again. We gave him banamine, B12, and La-200. He appears to be scouring now, so we gave him more electrolytes. Any thing anyone else would do? We are wondering if he got stepped on. We are on the verge of putting him down. Thank you. Here is a picture of how they found him this morning.

Attachments

• DF29B8B7-7B51-42E1-ABBB-F89C6CE62EFF.jpeg
    DF29B8B7-7B51-42E1-ABBB-F89C6CE62EFF.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 136

Latest posts